1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's Top 10: Best Wide Receivers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jan 19, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Up to this post, here is a list of receivers brought up on this thread by Steelers fans.

Stallworth
    Reed
    Joiner
    Alworth
    Berry
    Taylor
    Belitnikoff
    Warfield
    Ellard

Yup, all Black and Gold there.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

pretty damn solid list, freelance

A couple names that could get some consideration that haven't been mentioned: Crazy Legs Hirsch and Hines Ward. Hirsch had more TDs and a better yards per catch average than Fears. Ward gets bonus points for his blocking and aggressive play to go along with his 800 catches. Not many, if any, receivers play as physical as he does.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

For the love of Tebow, Hines Ward is not a top 10 receiver all time. Many years he's not in the top 10 in the league.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

Captain_Kirk....i almost had Crazy Legs on my list.you're right. he's one who should also get more consideration.
    i don't think Hines is a Top 10 guy. let's not get too carried away here..

5. zimmaniac06

zimmaniac06 Member

Art Monk number 4 of all time? With Steve Largent down at number 9? I'm sorry, but why? Monk led his league in catches once and yards per game once. He never led his league in receiving yards, and never caught more than 8 touchdowns in a season. He had great longevity, sure, but the fourth-best receiver of all time? I don't know if he's in the top 20, let alone the top 5.

Largent, meanwhile, had nine touchdowns or more in six games EDIT: seasons (my bad), is higher in career receiving yards even though he didn't play as long, etc. Maybe some of it is the offenses they played in, but not all of it. Anyway, considering that they're contemporaries, I don't think there's much argument. Not saying Largent is the best wideout of all time, but better than Monk (as are a lot of the people below him on your list and not on your list).

6. micke77

micke77 Member

each to his own.
    that's why it's fun to come up with these lists and have everybody debate 'em. my 10 won't be your 10 and vice-versa. understand completely.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Yeah, this is a great idea, Freelance.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

While I also believe Largent is better Monk, one thing about Monk is he had other decent receivers on his team. That meant his stats were a little diluted, but it also means he was open a lot more.

Of course, I can't name another receiver who played with the Seahawks during Largent's career (not a big Hawks fan, though), so that speaks to Largent's greatness.

9. micke77

micke77 Member

freelance...great idea..maybe to avoid any arguments or debates of global proportions, we all should just list 10 players in no order.... :)

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Largent had six games with nine or more TDs? Wow, that's got to be a record. And here I thought the NFL record for touchdown receptions in a game was five.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The problem with this list -- and many like it is they turn into a lifetime achievement award list and are usually built around career totals, which means a number of guys playing right now have no chance of making the list.

And you'd be hard pressed to convince me that you'd rather have anyone not named Rice in their prime over Larry Fitzgerald right now. And I'd say Steve Smith from Carolina probably belongs on that list as well.

But neither has hung around for 10 or 12 years yet so they don't the career numbers we love to put so much stock in all the time.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

How about the great Steve Raible?

OK, great might be a little strong.

Draft saved Draft deleted