1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's the day ESPN self-pleasures itself

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Read that somewhere else and then saw the TMZ post on it. Ridiculous. The cops said he was "DWHUA" or "Driving With Head Up Ass," according to TMZ. That defense doesn't work on a speeding ticket or for running a red light. In fact, it usually makes things worse. How in the hell does it get you off scot free when you rear end someone and send them into oncoming traffic?

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That picture of the moment about one second before impact, when Jenner has already rear-end her, and she has a HOLY SHIT look on her face as she's staring at an oncoming Hummer, that haunts me.

F Jenner.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This. Amazing how that story got wiped away by the sex change story. All the sins of Bruce are purged if you give us an even juicier story by becoming Caitlyn. And, oh yeah, you also get courage awards...

Batman and SpeedTchr like this.
  4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I've never wasted one single minute of my life watching the ESPYs, and this "award" to he/she/it completely validates that decision.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

A few of you might give birth to a he/she/it one day, or maybe you already have.

Hate the award recipient but the hate for a guy who just wanted to be herself seems a tad over the top, and by tad I mean stupidly.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No rational person has any animosity for Jenner's decision to become what he has become, a she. The animosoty is directed at ESPN for calling what Jenner did couragous. It is not. Jenner may be the target of a certain amout of ridicule but Jenner's choice has been so universally applauded by his peers and in the 1% world that Jenner travels, to call it couragous demeans the word and those to whom it truely applies.

Unless Jenner manipulated ABC/ESPN to receive the award, then Jenner is a self promoting douche, with a self interested and monetized end game. The transforamtion is honest, but Renee Richards did it 40 years ago.

Oh, and the only couragous thing that Jenner did is to wear Joan Collins dress. She looks like an extra from Dynasty

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To me, it wouldn't be as big a fuss if she wasn't related to the Kardashians. Put it this way, if Mark Spitz was transgendered today, would anyone care after a week?

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My opinion: If Bruce wants to be Caitlyn, I don't care. If Abby wants to sleep with Megan, I don't care. If Neil Patrick wants to marry David, I don't care. None of those things bother me in the slightest.
    What bothers me is that we are having all this stuff shoved in our faces continually. Just about every TV show -- drama, sitcom, etc. -- has a gay element. As you maneuver through your day, every situation you're in doesn't present a gay or transgender aspect. But on TV and movies -- and awards shows -- it seems to these days.
    This was a sports awards show. Jenner hasn't been a relevant athlete for decades. Why did Jenner deserve a huge chunk of this show??
    Aren't these shows supposed to be fun and uplifting?? Aside from the deserved "in memoriam" segment, there were entirely too many tears flowing last night.

BTExpress likes this.
  9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Because no one gives a shit about the ESPYs. Because ESPN created a meaningless award on a meaningless show. The lack of true import to the award meant that ESPN had no problem giving it out as a publicity stunt and to secure the lucrative first post-transition interview.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If having it "shoved in your face" upsets you so much, then it seems that you do have a problem with these things.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Then why didn't you just say stupidly instead of tad? "I said this word but I meant that word ..." what kind of dumbassed rhetorical device is that?

And I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing hate directed toward Jenner because of his decision to switch gender. I'm seeing criticism of ESPN, and some directed at Jenner for other reasons (namely killing someone without facing consequences), but not for his decision to make this transition. Maybe I'm just not reading back far enough, could you please point out the specific posts you're referencing?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    heyabbott likes this.
  12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Buh, buh, buh ABBY'S MARRIED!!! :)
    My goodness. You might be wound a bit too tight.

Draft saved Draft deleted