1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's screwy sportsdesk call

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NoOneLikesUs, Aug 14, 2008.

1. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Used to have some kid with braces call us at deadline nightly asking for the most obvious scores. Nothing local. He's ask shit like, "What was the final score of The Super Bowl?" Fucking pain in the ass. I think he called to annoy us more than anything else.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

When I was in college I worked in the newsroom of a TV station, 1977 or so. One Sunday afternoon, I gets a call from a guy who's helping his son with a school project and he needs to list all 50 states.

"I keep coming up with 49," he said.

It was North Dakota.

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I just re-watched an episode of Friends yesterday...season seven, Thanksgiving episode where Chandler challenges all of them to "name all 50 states in six minutes." Apparently if you can't get them in six minutes, there's no hope for you. Joey "wins" with 56.

I know I could do it, partly because when I was in a jazz choir in middle school, we learned a song with all of them in alphabetical order. I can still sing it. ;D

[/end threadjack]

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Was it the Fifty Nifty United States ... from 13 original colonies ... scout 'em, shout 'em, tell all about 'em ... one by one until we've given a name to every state in the good, old U ... S ... A?

:D

5. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Me: Copydesk.
    Caller: I know you're going to hang up on me, but if you have any heart you won't. I've talked to everyone, the police, the hospital, city council, and they refuse to do anything for me, because they don't care. I'm at the end of my rope. My daughter has married a thug who keeps threatening to kill me. No one believes me, but it's true. He's a drunk and he cusses and says all sorts of nasty things to me. I think he beats her but she keeps going back to him. One of these days he's going to kill her and me, and he says these awful things, but the police don't do anything about it. They told me they don't believe me, so what in the hell am I supposed to do? You people better cover this. You better start covering how the police are in the back pocket of this thug, because it's a conspiracy against me and my daughter. What in the hell am I supposed to do, huh? What do you think I should do? You better start covering this. He's a drunk and he cusses and says these awful things to me, and one of these days he's going to kill me and it's going to be everyone's fault.
    Me: One second. (transfers to news editor)
    News editor hangs up on her after five seconds.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for the space shuttle to collide with the moon. :eek: :eek:

7. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I wouldn't have wasted her time. After she said "I know you are going to hang up on me" Stop her. "Well, I don't want to disappoint you then." <click>

8. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Eh, I was semi-tuning her out. Put the phone on my shoulder and started budgeting the paper.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I love that one. They're all good, actually.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Utah? You can't start making up states, Ross!

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Joey: How is New England not a state? Huh? They have a sports team!

Chandler: Does South Oregon have a sports team?

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This little gem was on one of our guys' lines today. This is paraphrased, of course:

This is Mrs. Johnson from Radcliff. I see a big, big headline on NASCAR and not a thing on Michael Phelps. What's a matter with you people? Thank you.

--

We had a story on Phelps on the FRONT FREAKING PAGE, lady. Look to the left of the freaking NASCAR story and you will see the headline that says "Golden Phelps eager to sleep in his own bed."

But no, that's not a story about a guy who just won EIGHT FREAKING GOLD MEDALS in the Olympics.

Not at all.

It was about some Joe Schmoe in our community who just happened to travel to Beijing for something related to sports for a few weeks.

Yeah. That wasn't Michael Phelps on our front page that you didn't see.

Draft saved Draft deleted