1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's random style thread: Athletic or athletics director?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Apr 29, 2012.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Talking here in the office, and a couple of us grew up with "athletic director."

One of our best guys always writes "athletics director." And I'm seeing it that way more and more.

Any reason, or thoughts on either?

2. jeffgreer

jeffgreer New Member

Been at four shops, and the style is split 50-50. I like "athletics," because the AD is the director of all athletics.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

We had a debate about that and decided in a specific case to look up how the school listed it.

Director of athletics.

:)

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The actual title for many of these folks is "Director of Athletics," which probably explains the trend toward "athletics director."

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Right, obviously, you wouldn't say 'director of athletic.'

But before the name, it reads a bit different.

One of those things we still worry about that maybe in 20 years, nobody will care about. :)

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My rationale for "athletics director" is that it can't be misinterpreted for a physically fit director.

7. Isn't it always how the school itself lists it? Athletics director for the school I cover.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If you did that and you covered five schools, you might have to write a story that included an athletic director, an athletics director, a director of athletics, a director of sports and a sports director. Consistency is the key here.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Agreed. We don't uppercase any of them anyway, so it doesn't have to be the official title (vice president/athletics), just correct in terms of what the job is.

10. For my job it wouldn't happen, but I'd agree with your rationale in that case. I've always preferred athletics director for that reason. The guy in charge is in charge of all the athletics at the program, right?

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Exactly.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I write athletic. People don't say athletics director. Do you say "the athletics department"? It's all preference, but I like athletic director.

Draft saved Draft deleted