1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's NYTimes sports front

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Apr 27, 2015.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

To the average reader, it looks like 3/4s of their sports page didn't get printed.

reformedhack likes this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Was there an editor's note? If the story had been placed anywhere but across the fold, I think readers could have thought it was a snafu. I think it probably drew people in, and when they saw the bank area at the bottom, they probably figured it out.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Didn't they also do it with the Transactions entry when LeBron went back to the Cavs?

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We've seen this trite, tired act played before. The transactions entry with LeBron. The empty page when no one was voted into the baseball Hall of Fame. It's not "innovative" or "creative." It's arrogant, lazy and unimaginative.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Being pretentious and douchey isn't exactly a novelty act for the Times.

reformedhack likes this.
  6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Seems to me the point, when the NYT does this, is that no other (sports) story matters. And that's an interesting take, considering the subject matter.

But couldn't they do that in other ways, too? Put it on A1? Or at least include art? I know there's some shock value here, and it probably caused a lot of people to read the story who might have skipped over it otherwise. Notice it was also written in a way to take you all the way to the end of the story (kind of gimmicky, too, no?).

I read the story online, and it was accompanied with good art, including a photo gallery, and, at least at the time I looked at it, wasn't given that kind of treatment on the website.

Another question: Has the NYT ever done anything like this in any other section?

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

If the story really mattered, they should have put some effort into its presentation. To the average reader, they might as well write "This doesn't matter" in the headline.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Especially if the art is as good as you say it is. And, by the way, that headline blows, too.

This is an infinitely better example of how to present the only sports story that matters on a given day:

[​IMG]

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Meanwhile, a 180-degree difference from this morning's Washington Post. Awesome job.

[​IMG]

FileNotFound and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Now dump the photos and just run the hed and the text block. Fabulous!

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    MileHigh and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Solid. Damn solid.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Can someone explain the New York Times front to me? I understood the LeBron transaction and the Hall of Fame fronts. But I'm not getting this at all. What's the tie-in from the story to an empty front page like that?

Draft saved Draft deleted