1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's Los Angeles Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rudy Petross, May 4, 2009.

1. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

While we have been piling on newspapers lately, myself included, I was mildly inspired to read today's front page.
    There was a great story on two people who were killed the same night in hit and run accidents and how their investigations differed vastly. Then there was an interesting story about freelance joke writers to shows like Letterman and Leno.
    The best story I thought on the front page was about a basketball recruit who was rejected by both UCLA and USC, despite the fact that he was the No. 2 ranked power forward in the nation. It was written by Lance Pugmire, who for reasons unknown to me, isn't working as an investigative reporter for Sports Illustrated. I have envied his skills and work ethic for some time, even if the Times doesn't realize what it has with him.
    It appears to me that the times newsroom is trying to reclaim some prestige, hoping that an LA group can convince Zell to sell the paper to them.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Trust me, the Times realizes what it has with him. It is, I'm sure, part of the reason why he's still there.

And, Lance did work in news there, for two years, after an earlier stint in Sports.

But, he wants to work in Sports, Randy Harvey wants him to work in Sports, and Lance wants to work for Randy Harvey. I don't blame him.

Lance's problem -- and the Times', in general, in the last couple of years -- has been the recent move of newspapers away from major general-assignment work, because that's where he's at his best.

He has proven that, time and again -- enough times for the LAT to be well aware of it.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking in, Lance. :)

(We're slipping.)

Draft saved Draft deleted