1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's Fun With Headlines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The Times-Picayune is too big a paper for that to happen. Ouch. Who got chewed out more, the copy editor or the SE? I know Moddy didn't mention the paper, but it's on the front page of Gawker.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

To be fair, that does sound like a Rex Ryan quote.

4. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

Sounds like Bill Belichick during his press conferences.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think Jumphead should be capitalized since it is the last name of that 5-7 Patriots running back who was cut by the Jets in training camp.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

7. checkswinger

checkswinger Member

Before I got to the shop I'm at now, apparently a headline like this was written (names changed to protect the innocent): "Wildcat Tracks are written as if coach Smith lost this game." That was the note the writer had put at the top of his story, and the desk guy just went with it as a headline. Not quite the same as this error, but still funny (cos it didn't happen to me).

8. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Why is this so damn hard to bang into the heads of straight-outta-college kids?

If I know something has to be, let's say 42 pt., and I need to measure other things out on the page, I use "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXy" with the "y" only to measure for the descender. And if that don't jump off the page at you, nothing will.

Words, no matter how silly or meaningless, are going to blend when you're screwed and 90 seconds from dropping your last page. XXXXXXXXXXX doesn't blend.

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I must have looked at that two dozen times before I noticed it. I suck at copy-editing.

11. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I was almost equally offended by the size of those bullets (boxes). You could put a damn mug shot inside there.

But yeah, I get it.

InDesign has a feature that you can turn on and off that underlines in red when a word is misspelled. The name of major cities is included.

Some snot-nosed straight-outta-college brat that I hired turned that feature off. He said it annoyed him.

I told him that was fine, but if anything was every misspelled in a headline, he would be fired no questions asked. He didn't last long.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Interesting thing, the drop-hed of "NFL's Oldest Rivalry" may technically not be correct.

On Nov. 28, 1920, the Chicago Cardinals (who are today's Arizona Cardinals) beat the Decatur Staleys (today's Bears), 7-6, at Normal Park in Chicago in the American Professional Football Association, which is recognized as the NFL.

The first Bears/Packers game was almost exactly one year later, on Nov. 27, 1921 (Bears beat Packers, 20-0).

While the Bears and Packers are acknowledged as bitter rivals, you kinda can look at it as not the oldest.

Draft saved Draft deleted