1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's bizarre high school football score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm still looking for the Holy Grail: A 5-4 football score.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's college, but Mississippi State and Auburn played a 3-2 game not that long ago.

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Did that box score include the scoring summary, 'cuz damn

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The holy grail in lower-level Scottish soccer is East Fife beating Forfar by that same score.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

http://www.hutchnews.com/sports/justpreps/prep_schools/fairfield/board-defying-score-adds-to-signs-of-season/article_48ac33bf-dc42-5b76-8c71-3e67e0f0ecdc.html?mode=image&photo=1

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Still waiting for a 4-2 final.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

A few years ago I watched Pittsburgh and San Diego play to an 11-10 final, which was the first time that final score had ever been recorded in an NFL game.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Years and years ago, in a driving sleetstorm, I covered an 8-4 prep football game which featured three safeties -- the winning team took an intentional safety with an 8-2 lead with about 30 seconds left to avoid having to punt from their own 20.

The only TD of the game came after a fumble on about the 25. The PAT kick was blocked after a bad snap.

I think between them the two teams won about three games that season.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Iowa beat Penn State 6-4 in 2004, taking an intentional safety on a punt to account for the final score -- but not with anything like 20 seconds to go. As I recall, there were maybe 6 minutes still left.

10. doctorx

doctorx Member

Florida 11-man second-round playoff game wound up 74-73 in regulation last year.

11. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Five years ago in our area, we had a muddy game finish with a 4-0 score. The field conditions were a pretty big embarrassment for the home team (which lost).

I too am strongly in favor of the running clock. It's mandatory in my home state of Illinois at 40 points. In Indiana, it can be used when both teams agree, but is not mandatory. So you get situations where the losing team declines the running clock, then cries foul when the other team's freshmen don't fall on the ball and punt on second down.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ferentz must have been eating his retard sandwiches that day (take an intentional safety to cut your lead from 4 to 2?!??!), but he has always been a guy who seems to be itching for a chance to take intentional safeties.

Draft saved Draft deleted