1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's bizarre high school football score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 20, 2014.

1. NNDman

NNDman Active Member

if it's a walk-off and it's inside the park shouldn't the score be 26-25?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'd say you're right. Game should be over when the winning run scores.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Pretty sure these are 11-man teams, and not small enrollment by Iowa standards:

High school football score is 99-81, setting Iowa record

COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (AP) — Council Bluffs Jefferson beat Sioux City North 99-81 on Friday night in the highest-scoring game in the history of Iowa high school football.

Council Bluffs led 57-21 at halftime. North rallied to score 60 points in the second half but still managed to lose by 18, according to an unofficial box score provided to The Associated Press by Council Bluffs coach Brant Anderson.

Jefferson put up 99 points on the strength of a rushing attack that put up a staggering 749 yards on 67 carries. Cameron Baker had 358 yards and eight touchdowns. Jermaine Green added 209 yards and two touchdowns.

Sioux City North QB Matt Hagan threw for 310 yards and nine touchdowns in the losing effort.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That was my first question when I saw this on Twitter last night: 11 man?

Wonder if AP is getting many "you only cover us when we lose" calls from Iowa?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They are 11-man teams. They play in the state’s largest enrollment class too. It’s hard to fathom how you could score that many points in a 48-minute game.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

67 rushes by one team? I guess they have to stop the clock on first downs, and Jefferson was averaging better than ten yards per carry, but both teams had to be playing uptempo all night to score that many points.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Local HS power football team only had 36 kids go out for football. I think they are highest classification in the state. The middle class and up is going to stop playing football unless you are a stud.

So if you have a couple of studs playing offense and a bunch of kids playing D who wouldn’t be on the field if 60 kids cane out for football, that’s the score you’re going to see.

Concussions are going to change HS football very quickly.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If you have a D1 RB and the defense is that weak, wouldn't you have the RB play LB also?

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Minnesota. And not small schools.

Elk River 80. Buffalo 70.

Elk River with 636 rushing yards. One kid had 268 on seven carries. The team had 0 passing yards.

Buffalo QB Aidan Bouman with 542 passing yards and state-record 8 touchdowns. Bouman's dad coaches the team, former NFL QB and small town MN sports legend Todd Bouman.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

October 8, 2020:
    Topeka West 80, Topeka Highland Park 48.

That's an 11-man score. Class 5A schools.

Also: Andale 96, Wichita Trinity 6. Andale had 88 after three. That's 11-man, too.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

This one just concluded:
    Marmaton Valley 106, Oswego 98. Yes, this is eight-man and it's the new Kansas record for total points in a game. The old record was 182 (Onaga 114, Valley Falls 68 in 2016).

The winning score came with six seconds to go in regulation. If it had gone to overtime under Kansas' system, it might not have ever ended.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I worked a game earlier this week: 23-4.

Draft saved Draft deleted