1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's bizarre football score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I just finished reffing this game.

Moscow 92
    Rolla 46

Welcome to 8-man football. I know this pleases sprited.

62-34 at the half.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

What'd that take, 3 1/2 hours?

I did a game that was 46-0 on a field half covered in snow, the rest in standing water/mud.

I ran the clock on the field. Done in 83 minutes. :)
  3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Last Friday in the same six-man district in Texas the two following scores occurred:
    Ackerly Sands 110, Lenorah Grady 80
    Borden County 116, O'Donnell 80

Best score I've seen was 88-0.

Texas has a 45-point mercy rule in 6-man, but you have to reach halftime before that takes place. Can't imagine what it would have been had they played it out.
  4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Case Keenum just played in a 6-man game I believe...

That, or Rice didn't show up.
  5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Piggybacking Spike here: I thought for sure this would be about Houston.
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

around 2:45

A couple of turnovers inside the 5 by each team as well. Should have been around 110-60.
  7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Worst part about a 92-46 game would be if you have an old-school sports writer who insists on detailing each scoring drive.
    BTW, in your state when does the clock become a running clock? Here it is 45 point spread; I preferred in Iowa where it was 35.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

First eight-man game I covered this season ended 51-49, settled by a fumble on the 10 with 17 seconds left. But between my pregame setup and two brief power outages (they're rewired the school that week and the snack sack was sucking up too many amps) and limited seating in the press box, I was on my feet for about 4 hours straight. Legs still wanted to sue for separate maintenance on Sunday.
  9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This was an 8-man game. No running clock.

The game cannot end before halftime. Can end at halftime if it is at 46 or above.

In the second half, once it gets to 46, it is over.

There was about 7 minutes left in the game when we called it last night.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Out here, it's 40 and up at anytime in the game. Once you go running clock, it stays running clock. 45 for eight-man.

Had a 50-28 game tonight -- with a brawl. Fun times.
  11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That's the weird thing about Kansas. Some 11-man leagues/classes have running clocks standard at 45......some are "if both coaches and administrators agree to it."

I would like to see one uniform rule for all 11-man, but hey........I just throw the flags......I don't write the books.
  12. bbnews60

bbnews60 Member

We had an 84-13 thriller between two longtime 11-man rivals that hadn't met since 2006. It was a meaningless crossover game to give both teams a ninth game.

It was 56-6 at half. Good times and I can't tell you how thrilled I am that it was back.

The kids could care less and the schools are in different classes, but some folks just don't know how to let things go around here.
Draft saved Draft deleted