1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's bizarre 8-man football score(s) of the day......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Burlingame 90, Elwood 40

Fowler 82, Moscow 34

Game I reffed Friday night was low-scoring to these standards; 42-28.

I'm telling you; If you have never seen an 8-man high school football game, treat yourself and go to one.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's on my bucket list. Just ahead of taking a pottery class, but behind attending the North Dakota State Fair.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The 6-man team I covered back in the day lost in the state title game 101-76.

Love watching the open-field tackling of 6-man; better tacklers than 11-manners.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Eight man football rules. I remember one year, there was a team in our area that made it to the state finals. they averaged more than 50 points a game and played a team in the semis that also averaged more than 50 a game.

Final score: 12-6.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Got ya beat — Texas six-man football, where basketball scores are the rule.

Walnut Springs 112, Leverett's Chapel 64.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

We play 9-man for the small schools up here, and the scores are usually pretty reasonable.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Isn't 8-man typically a lot more run-oriented, and therefore lower-scoring than 6-man? From what I've read, you add back linemen, rather than skill position players.

There was a team fairly nearby at my last stop, but I never got around to going up and seeing them. They didn't have lights, so they always played at around noon on Saturdays. Too early for a desker. :D

(And to counter my lower-scoring argument, another not-really-nearby team got beat 98-14 in the first round of the playoffs.)

IIRC, there was never a 100-point game in the Arena League, was there? I can't imagine seeing 100-plus in football.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Caught an 8-man game Friday night.

Visiting team leads by 43 points early in the third quarter after scoring a touchdown. There is a 45-point rule in 8-man football here.

Quarterback lines up for 2 and TAKES A FUCKIN' KNEE.

I could have been back to the office in plenty of time. But noooo.

They ended up playing four full quarters, the first time the home team has done that this season. Home team has just 12 players, by the way, and their star tore something in his shoulder three weeks ago.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm sorry for laughing, but that's fucking funny. (But only because I don't cover games anymore.)

(And I guess it's 1 for a kick, 2 for a pass/run in 8-man?)

Once covered a game in Florida, where there's a 35-point running clock rule. Home team goes up 28-0 after one, then scores again in the second ... but has the extra point blocked. And never scores again. 34-6 final.

10. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Michigan has the same rule. My local school has had a running clock in seven of its eight games this season. Last night, for Homecoming, they dropped to 0-8 by losing 47-14 to a school that has also come into the game 0-7. It was 47-7 for most of the second half, so the clock was running, but they scored in the final moments.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I covered my share of 8-man games in my past life and the thing in California is -- like girls basketball -- the teams tend to be either really good or hide-the-women-and-children bad.

Typically, you have teams that push the 45-point mercy rule every week and teams that are pushed by the 45-point rule every week.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Is 8/6 man played on a shorter field? Any other fundamental differences?

Draft saved Draft deleted