1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TODAY WE CELEBRATE OUR INDEPENDENCE DAY (SEQUELS)!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 28, 2011.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I watched this movie in theaters the day before I reported for basic training -- July 3, 1996.

2. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

That tsunami was complete bullshit. They outran the damn thing on a BMX bike with a fuckin' lawn mower engine rigged to the chain.

The Day after Tomorrow wave was BS, too. Just a city? May as well have been Waikiki.

It took the most ridiculous, over the top movie of all time--2012--for these assholes to break out the real deal. Now THAT'S a fuckin' tsunami for ya!

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yet, it gave us JAda Pinkett, before she became all shrill, bony and brittle

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm curious how you thought it was going to be a genre changer in the first half. Seems to me that it wasn't much different from the original War of the Worlds in terms of basic plot - aliens invade, wipe out cities all hope seems lost until the aliens catch a virus (I actually thought that was a clever homage in ID4, even if it seems unlikely the aliens would be running Windows).

Independence Day decided to have Americans "whoop E.T.'s ass" instead of letting our planet's bacteria do the job, but basically ID4 was never anything more than the alien invasion flick with the best special effects of all-time to that point.

It did usher in the era of convincingly destroying iconic landmarks, but other than that it was just meant to be a funny, action-packed thrill ride, and I thought succeeded quite well in that regard.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Vivica Fox.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

All the way to the Appalachian Mountains! That scene is highly underrated in the pantheon of total bullshit.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This was crushed, my man. Touch 'em all.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In every single one of these disaster movies, human beings are slaughtered by the hundreds of millions, stacked up like cordwood from coast to coast, the air thick with the fluffy ashes of incinerated corpses, yet you'll never see a dog get it.

I was shocked to see the other day in Cool Hand Luke (1967), an appaently dead dog on the screen. Probably the last dead dog to ever appear in American cinema.

Where will we get our "yellow matter custard?"

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The other bullshit thing about Deep Impact was when everyone was fleeing, and the main characters all met up at the traffic jam. Really? Hundreds of thousands of people running away, and the main people just coincidentally bump into each other. Yeeesh.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

wolverine

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I figured the sequel to ID4 would be Labor Day - Aliens v. Unions.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Will Smith has to kill his diseased dog in I Am Legend. Otherwise known as the most depressing fucking movie ever made.

Draft saved Draft deleted