1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today is the 27th Anniversary of Live Aid

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jul 13, 2012.

1. jaydaum

jaydaum Member

You're totally right. Sheesh, Collins was everywhere.
    I was just reading the set lists. Definitely an epic day of music.
    I remember that Simple Minds at that time was probably bigger than U2 but after Live Aid
    both bands went in very different directions. I think U2 was the only band that went over
    the time limit for their set. [Mainly to an epically long version of Bad because the band just kept playing
    even though they couldn't see Bono anymore while he was dancing with that woman down in front.]

I remember listening to WMMR reporting on Collins' whereabouts-
    "He's in the restroom at Philadelphia International Airport!"

Anybody care to opine on whether the DVD's are worth tracking down? Good quality?
    From the tv broadcasts or from source at each venue? Uninterrupted performances?

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The DVDs are excellent. They're from the source, not the TV broadcast, so you get the full performances without Mark Goodman and Martha Quinn talking over them. I believe it has every single performance, minus Led Zeppelin.

It's a 4 DVD set and it's only $30 from Amazon. Definitely worth it.

3. jaydaum

jaydaum Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it. I'm due for a walk down Memory Lane...

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Live Aid was in the summer of 1985 and the most recent U2 album was The Unforgettable Fire, which was supposed to bring them to super stardom, but never had the right songs for the radio it seemed.

In March of 1987 the released The Joshua Tree that contained With or Without You and I Still Haven't Found What I am Looking For, two of my least favorite songs by them, but they were popular. Very popular.

In 1984, U2 released this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U2_Live_at_Red_Rocks:_Under_a_Blood_Red_Sky) and after everyone saw that, pretty much all their fans dating back to Boy and October knew it was only a matter of time before they were household names.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

To me, still their greatest moment.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Live Aid was not the last show at JFK. The stadium was in use for another four years.

The Grateful Dead were the last act to perform there, and it was a great show.

7. jaydaum

jaydaum Member

Nice snag. I stand corrected!

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That is why The Unforgettable Fire is regarded by critics as one of the 20 worst albums of the 1980s. Total whiff by the Bonos, even though it was not horrible.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

20 Worst albums of the 80s? Really.

I must have lived through a different 80s. It's my favorite U2 album, by far. And I was really listening to U2 then. My first concert ever was during the tour for War. I saw them when they toured for the Unforgettable Fire. They were not the U2 they became after the Joshua Tree (which I hated). The Unforgettable Fire was way different than Boy, October and War, which were pure rock albums. I understand that a lot of people I grew up with will say that War was their favorite U2 album, and I won't begrudge them. You can argue that The Unforgettable Fire is uneven. But there is a great haunting, kind of ambient quality to it, if you ask me, and it has a seriousness of purpose. The songs are complex. I dunno what critics think it is one of the 20 worst albums of the 80s, but really? It is the album that gave us Pride, Bad, The Unforgettable Fire (a beautiful song), A Sort of Homecoming and Wire. That is one of the 20 worst albums of the 80s? I guess opinions wildly vary!

10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I was 15 and felt the same way. Then I saw Eric Clapton a year later with Phil Collins as his drummer. I was afraid Collins was going to pop out from behind the kit and break into "Sussudio" or some crap like that but he just played. Really well. And the show was fantastic.

Anyway, the day of Live Aid I was at a summer enrichment program in Boston and we took a field trip to some open-air flea market out in the boonies. i was pissed because I just wanted to watch MTV all day. I was a Who fanatic, wasn't old enough to see them on their "Farewell Tour" 3 years earlier in '82 (I did tape the final concert at Maple Leaf Gardens off a clock radio using an old=fashioned tape recorder -- I was at my grandparents' and didn't have better technology available). I was devastated that I'd be missing their reunion. I ended up hearing it on the radio playing out of some T-shirt booth. It was better then than it sounds now. I was underwhelmed, however, by the Zep reunion, especially Plant's ad-libbed "please don't make me roll" at the end of Stairway. Later that night we got to see highlights. And U2 and Queen were absolutely friggin unbelievable. I like a lot of the other acts better now than I did then -- youth is wasted on the young.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I taped LiveAid on cassette, don't know if we owned a VCR then. Don't think we got one until Christmas 1985.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Completely agree. It's not even close to being U2's worst album of the 80s.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted