1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today is the 27th Anniversary of Live Aid

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jul 13, 2012.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I saw Howard Jones live twice. The first time he was alone on stage, programming and playing everything by himself. It was pretty cool.

The second time he had a fucking mime onstage.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Well played.

Wiki has tons of fun facts...reading as I watch Youtube...for instance, Thomas Dolby on synths for Bowie...Jack Nicholson intro'd U2...

3. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

IF HE WASN'T RELEVANT WHY WOULD THEY NAME THE PRACTICE FIELD AT USC AFTER HIM???

What, what? Never mind.

4. the fop

the fop Member

You'd never get that many, that close to the forefront of rock and roll, that close to their peak relevance. the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concert was great, but Jagger obviously much closer to his peak in 1985 than 2010.

Zeppelin reunion awesome, Phil Collins notwithstanding, just because it happened.

For some reason, I always remember Duran Duran's set, and Simon LeBon hitting an awful note on "A View to a Kill" and Andy Taylor wincing and laughing. Not long before Andy took his leave.

Also remember Bryan Ferry's set being strong.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Blast Phil Collins all you want for some of his more recent solo releases or the other SJ mess that another poster started on another thread. But the man was an outstanding percussionist. Since John Bonham wasn't exactly available at the time, Led Zep could have done much, much worse.

*Stepping aside as I'm sure this will ignite an unparalleled forest fire ... *

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You're right.

But at the time - to a 17-year-old - seeing Mr. Take A Look At Me Now, Mr. Easy Lover and Mr. Sussudio backing up Led fucking Zeppelin was a travesty.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

About the only thing I could compare Live Aid to was the Concert for New York after 9/11.

8. PCLoadLetter

One note about the Led Zeppelin reunion: it was such a shitshow they wouldn't give clearance to put it on the Live Aid DVD. They donated money to Sudan relief instead.

9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Uh, I may or may not be the guilty party.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Queen's set

Mercury was flamboyant, openly gay man who could have walked into any bar in Pittsburgh and never paid for drink in the 1970s and 1980s. Damn SOB was transcendent.

Too fucking soon. Aids sucks.

11. jaydaum

jaydaum Member

I grew up in South Jersey just over the Walt Whitman bridge from Philly.
    Live Aid was such a big frickin deal in the community. Local darling band The Hooters,
    who were starting to make it nationally opened up the Philly show. [Not only is
    this a great trivia question today, but back then it was so great for a band that we had all been
    cheering for years...] As a high school kid back then it was a generation-defining event.
    People tell stories of how they got tickets or snuck in or partied nearby. [Also on the trivia front:
    I believe Live Aid was the last event held at old JFK stadium.]

Part of what made Live Aid such a big deal was that back then it was harder to see the bands that you loved.
    No youtube, smartphones, etc. so you had Mtv and live concerts. Also, you didn't have all of the Bonnaroos and SXSW
    and Coachellas so getting this many bands together was huge.

It has been argued that Live Aid basically propelled U2 into the stratosphere they would enjoy for the
    next few decades. Am I remembering correctly that Sting was even more ubiquitous at Live Aid
    then Phil Collins?

12. PCLoadLetter

No, Phil Collins was pretty much in a class by himself there.

Sting and Collins did a set together, and then Sting did "Money For Nothing" with Dire Straits.

After the set with Sting, Collins flew to Philly, did a solo set, played with Eric Clapton, and then played with Led Zeppelin. (Plus, there were the breathless live reports from the airport as he got on and off the plane.)

Draft saved Draft deleted