1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today is the 27th Anniversary of Live Aid

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I was 15 years old, the summer before my junior year of high school.
    Most of my friends went to the Philly show.
    I was in Kauai. Spent the day at the beach.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Say what you want about the '80s, would anyone give a crud if they did that today with a comparable set of performers? Are there a comparable set of performers?

3. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

i taped the whole thing on VHS. lugged it around for years. used to put it in every so often. threw it away about 4 years ago. along with my copy of Destiny Turns on the Radio.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That lineup was impressive, but just imagine if they could have talked Springsteen, Prince and Michael Jackson into appearing.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd argue that was the greatest day in MTV history. Even sharing the show with ABC I doubt they've come close to that kind of viewership since.

I was home from college for the summer and working that day. Thing I remember the most about it was how big a deal it was that Phil Collins played in both London & Philly with a chartered Concorde flight in between.

I'd agree that doing something like Live Aid today wouldn't be possible.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I just wonder what kind of song collections Time-Life will try to peddle 15-20 years from now.

Skrillex talking about the classic sounds of the Zeros?

"That time was dope. The beats were thumping, people were freak-dancing, trippin' out on X. It was such an amazing era!"

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

And I notice there are still hungry people. Imagine that.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was 8 years old, living near Philly. I remember the show being considered a big deal, but didn't watch a second of it. We spent the whole day at the Jersey Shore.
    Maybe because I was so young, but it never felt like I missed anything.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I watched almost the whole thing live, taped it on VHS, and now own the whole thing on DVD. I was 18 at the time.

I just showed some of it to my 14 year old a few weeks ago. He was suitably blown away by the U2 and Queen sets.

A side note -- when U2 finished their set, the other members were furious with Bono for screwing up their set on such a big stage. They thought it was a disaster. Then they read the papers the next morning, and learned otherwise.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

"We're an Irish band, we come from Dublin City, Ireland..."

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Also, Howard Jones is as musically relevant as Hall & Oates, the Cars or George Thoroughgood.
    I dispute the implication that he enjoys lesser status than those three from your fourth paragraph.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

About that? No one is to blame.

Draft saved Draft deleted