1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today is allegedly layoff day at my shop

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportschick, Mar 16, 2009.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Good luck, SC.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I've heard two stories in recent months of people being hired only to be let go in a round of layoffs less than six months later. There's just no security anywhere right now.

Has anyone else at least mulled the idea of taking a new job, moving cross country, spending an arm and a leg and then having the rug pulled out from under them? That's sort of what happened to me at my last shop (slightly less than a year), and I sure as heck don't want to go through that again.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I taught my wife how to drive, but it seems like she is the only Russian woman on the planet who can't play tennis worth a lick. I'll give her credit for continuing to try, though. I still haven't put on a pair of ice skates since my embarrassing first attempt in St. Petersburg last February.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

All the luck in the world SC, I wish the best for you and your co-workers.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

see, that's my other problem. i don't have much time in my current shop. my buyout wouldn't last me any time at all.
    i'm just left feeling I made the wrong decision in staying.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Best of luck, SC. I know it'll work out for the best.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Good luck. As per my other thread, you can see my layoff day was the worst day of my life. I can only wish you luck. There's nothing else you can do. Let us know how it goes. Feel free to vent and bitch. We'll listen. At least I know I will.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Good luck, SC and all others.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Sending you loads O' positive karma, SC.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Fingers are crossed.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Good luck, SC. I'll be praying for you.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Keeping a good thought, chickie.

Draft saved Draft deleted