1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today is allegedly layoff day at my shop

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportschick, Mar 16, 2009.

1. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

"Laid off", to me, means they let you go and that you didn't have a choice.

"Terminated", to me, means you were fired, which carries much more of a "you did something bad/wrong, therefore you are fired".

Also, when you go to collect unemployment, I believe you are eligible when you are "laid off", but often not when you are "fired". Definitely not when you "quit".

I'll know more tomorrow when I actually have to file.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Good luck.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Good luck from here.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I don't mean to thread jack, but I'm also facing layoffs at my shop. But a couple of weeks ago, faced with another opportunity, i chose to stay here. Which brings about my question.
    Facing layoffs, should I have abandoned ship only to role the dice someplace else as the new guy? Or hope my luck doesn't run out here? I'm just stuck thinking I made a enormous mistake in staying.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If you know of any shops that aren't laying off, feel free to share :)

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Good luck, sc.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I would take a job delivering mail for half my current salary tomorrow . . . if USPS was hiring.

That's how confident I am about my future at my shop, after 23 years and two months (and zero sick days taken).

If I'm not employed when my wife has her USCIS interview in June . . . I don't want to think about it (although I do every waking moment).

8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Hang in there, SC!

9. I'm in your position, and if somebody else makes an offer, I'll take a buyout and leave. If not this time, there will be another opportunity 3-6 months down the road. Even if I get laid off at the new place, I'll still have my newspaper buyout, which can tide me over for a while. I just see no future here or at any other newspaper, frankly. And even if I was lucky enough to keep dodging the bullet on layoffs, I don't think I want to be part of what newspapers are becoming.

We used to work so hard to make sure our coverage was complete. Now the NBA games are running in the briefs, when they run. We no longer run back late NHL/NBA games that didn't make the previous day's early edition. There's just no space.

We pulled an all-hands-on-deck last night for Selection Sunday. At least three deskers worked OT shifts. We've been informed there will be no more OT, which means our section is taking another hit in space and personnel. We're waiting for the hammer to fall on layoffs, and many of us realized last night that it could have been our last Selection Sunday.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Best of luck, BC, and to everybody else in this mess not really of our making. I appreciate all the good wishes.

And BTE, I'll hire you to be my tennis coach if it'll help your wife stay in the country.

11. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Good luck SC for you and all there with you.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Best of luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted