1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today is Abe Vigoda's birthday

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WolvEagle, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The guy looked like he was 89 when he was on Barney Miller back in the 70s. It's like he prematurely aged and then just locked in and stayed there for four decades.

Same goes for John Wooden, btw, he looked like an old man back in the 60s. Who'd have imagined he'd still be with us in 2010.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I know. I thought of him as old in Barney Miller, and that was more than 30 years ago. Of course, I was a kid and I pretty much thought anyone older than my parents was an old person.

Love seeing Abe when he pops up on Conan and stuff like the Super Bowl commercial. He seems pretty vibrant. He'll probably outlive us all.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think Hal Linden, Jack Soo and perhaps Steve Landesberg have died from the Barney Miller cast. I assume James Gregory has. I'm guessing Ron Glass and Max Gail are still with us. Have no idea on Ron Carey or Gregory Sierra. (Yeah, I know I could look all this stuff up)

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Hal Linden and Steve Landesberg are still alive. Jack Soo died while Barney Miller was still on the air, and I believe the first episode afterward the cast held up a cup of coffee - Yemana's signature.

One of the funniest TV lines I ever heard came from Vigoda's character. Two of the detectives were chasing a robber through the sewers and Det. Fish, who was standing next to the bathroom, says, "I better wait. I wouldn't want to be accused of obstructing justice."

What a great show that was. Great theme, too.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Carroll O'Connor was like that too. Even William Shatner to a lesser degree.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Corky is right with Linden, Landesburg, Gail, Glass, and Sierra. Ron Carey passed away in 2007, and Gregory died a few years before Carey did. Don't forget, Barney's wife, played by Barbara Barrie, she's still around as well.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Abe looked pretty fit and even intimidating in a way in The Godfather, which would have been out only about five years before Barney Miller was on.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Definitely one of the funniest shows on TV. ABC was rolling then. I love Vigoda and White in the Snickers commericals.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I watched the Jack Soo tribute on YouTube for the first time in ages. Still hilarious.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Best ad of this year's Super Bowl:

Happy birthday, Abe.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

And to tie this altogether neatly: Betty White really hasn't aged that much since the 70s either, maybe a little in the past few years. She had sort of a grandmotherly look back then and she's not that much different 30+ years later.

12. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I bet ol' Betty can still suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.

Landesberg's still alive. And a really nice, humble, funny guy to boot.

Draft saved Draft deleted