1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Old White Racist Columnists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 17, 2018.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

1. No clue. Plenty of other racist suggestions have been printed, however.

2. Yeppers.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The one where coaches always used to tell players “nothing good happens after midnight.”

A few years ago there was a coach who wanted to take away cell phones and prohibit his players from talking to girls after a certain hour.

People think all kinds of things. I don’t think the woman was suggesting martial law. But maybe she was.

Either way, it goes without saying, she should have been fired and the line should have been edited out. As to whether it was a sincere policy suggestion, I don’t know.

3. TheSportsPredictor

She didn't say midnight. Even if she did, she only thinks black people should be home before that time.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There is zero evidence of her using humor in her column, Alma. I have no idea where you pulled that one.

RVT dismisses columnist after protests

• Although nominally about Rancho Murieta, Courson’s columns, which started in 2012, offered opinions on issues from local to national, often with viewpoints that reflect Courson’s standing as an active Republican.
    • She is a past director of Rancho Murieta Country Club and a former leader of the community’s Women’s Club.
    75 year-old white country club director and active republican.

So when she is talking about blacks staying in their place, Occam's razor tells me she is speaking from her heart, not doing a Dave Barry schtick.

This was her comment afterwards:
    “I apologize for giving the community a black eye,” Herburger said. “I wish I could have helped us duck and not taken that.”

5. TheSportsPredictor

6. poindexter

"you black men"

Laff riot

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Say, I wonder how many brown people are in her clubs. Somebody ask her that, please.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm sure her intentions were good.

9. poindexter

I am amazed that we have board members like Alma, who read all this, absorb all the information, stroke their chin, and not only think, but write, that this column was "probably in jest".

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I know older people who still use “colored” or “Negro,” and I’m sure they mean no harm and are using those terms “innocently.”

Their ignorance to the meaning of those terms is part of the problem.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

We see what you did there.

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Reading that column made my head hurt. It also took me back to my first days in journalism at a community newspaper where one of my tasks was editing a regular column by a sweet, 80-something-year old woman who had long since retired from writing for The Washington Star's society pages. She was, thankfully, never racist like this. But it was equally painful to read.

Draft saved Draft deleted