1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in cops gone feral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2017.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

SLPD wasn't the department involved in the pursuit. They just happened to get involved because that's where the hospital with the burn unit was. It wouldn't shock me if one department was trying to cover for another, but I wouldn't think it would be the same pressure from a supervisor.

HC likes this.
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Surprised this isn't getting more attention around here.

At the beginning of my journalism career I was on the cops beat and working in a small town. Went to the scene of a chase where a trooper had wrecked his patrol car. Our photog was on the other side of the county, so I grabbed my camera and started shooting, giant press badge hanging off my neck.

Before I realized what was happening a deputy - who apparently thought I was involved somehow - had a shotgun leveled at my chest.

I'm honestly surprised shit like this doesn't happen more frequently given how jumpy some officers are.

4. dixiehack

TowelWaver likes this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Just one bad apple. That's all.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I understand that cops are in situations that are so much more tense than those of everyone else, but that's what the job entails and requires more composure. Either deal with it or quit.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Some editor had to say "C'mon, bro. You can't write this." That's just being a dick for the sake of it.

Vombatus and Smallpotatoes like this.
  8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And for clicks.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  9. dixiehack

Ho hum. Another day, another cop with a shaky employment history showing out at his new job.

'I don't know what would have happened if I had said something': Hibbler recounts terrifying traffic stop

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

That must have been some investigation. I wonder when it started. After the incident. Or after the media broke the story.

Draft saved Draft deleted