1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in cops gone feral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

No donuts for two weeks.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

It’s really not that hard to make progress:

demilitarize them, no more tanks and assault weapons (for most); and

cops are demanded to de escalate not get pissed every time someone doesn’t do exactly what they want. ​

Tarheel316 likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My sister reminded me of a story from San Jose PD last night:

A family calls the police because their mentally ill son is having a break and they need help. Police show up and one thing leads to another and suddenly guy having a mental break has "something" in his hands and the police kill him. What if a trained mental health professional had responded instead?

OscarMadison and qtlaw like this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My partner’s kid committed suicide and was mentally ill. He said cops beat the sh*t out of kid during one encounter. Luckily he was Irish otherwise he’s likely dead.

Yes health care professionals instead of cops. They’d be cheaper too.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm surprised this hasn't been more a part of the story. We hear about "sworn" officers and how that sets them apart from other employees of a police department - but I'm guessing perjury cases won't be pursued. Here is the oath they take:

"On my honor, I will never betray my badge, my integrity, my character or the public trust. I will always have the courage to hold myself and others accountable for our actions. I will always uphold the constitution, my community, and the agency I serve.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

A girl can dream...

Well, yeah.

Waitaminnit...

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In a decision that must've sounded good in the morning production meeting, one Boston channel's local news ran a segment on a police training session on the chokehold. I predict this will lead to some very unhappy situations involving big and little siblings in many a household in the metro area.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A cop who has never had to wait for food in a drive through.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Well, tell your peeps to stop shooting people with rubber bullets and tear-gassing them.

She could probably still get a cab in Manhatten, though.

qtlaw and OscarMadison like this.
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

How is this a thing? She didn’t get her meal right away and there is zero evidence that it is because she’s a cop? And she has a crying fit? Luckily she is armed.

Inky_Wretch and OscarMadison like this.
  12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I mean, it sucks when you order on an app and they still don’t get it right. My son got the spicy salsa instead of the mild yesterday at Chipotle, but we didn’t record a tear filled social media post.

Draft saved Draft deleted