1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in cops gone feral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2017.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There really should be a charge for police officers who cause an unnecessary or unjustified death of a civilian by not following proper procedure. Nobody will buy this officer wanting to kill this person. Going for a murder charge only makes it more likely he would be acquitted.
    I do wonder if FWPD will open up his file so the media can see if this is a pattern.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

https://nypost.com/2019/10/17/cop-who-fatally-shot-atatiana-jefferson-wasnt-sent-on-welfare-check/

Well, that changes the narrative a bit. Cops weren't sent on a welfare check. They were sent with the understanding that there was a possible burglary. From what I understand, she heard someone prowling outside, grabbed the gun from her purse and then the cop shot her through the window. Is that right?

Is it insensitive to note why this situation happened in the first place? The woman left her front door open at 2:30 a.m., which prompted the neighbor to call. Why is the front door open at that hour? And why is she up playing video games with an 8-year-old at that hour? None of that excuses him shooting her through the window and not announcing himself as a police officer, but the situation was created because of bad decisions made by the victim. Victim-blaming? I guess. But still worth mentioning.

Don't be surprised if the cop's lawyer demands an autopsy of the victim to see if she was on drugs. Cynically, that's the inevitable next step it seems.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why was the door open? Because she wanted it open.

Why was she playing video games at 2:30? Because she wanted to.

5. CD Boogie

Yeah, I get all that. I want to walk down the street with my fly open and singing loudly to myself, too. But ya know what's gonna happen? Someone is gonna call the cops and report a lunatic, even though I'm just having a good time. And then there's a potential for a situation.

Her own neighbor called the police. It wasn't some white cop just doing a drive by and saw her door open. Her own neighbor thought it suspicious.

6. TheSportsPredictor

It's nonsense to equate the two.

7. CD Boogie

Fine, forget the analogy. Her own neighbor, a black man who got along well with her family, thought it was suspicious that her doors (not singular) were open at 2:30 a.m. Not unlocked. Wide open. She created the potential for a situation, no? By acting abnormally?

In this day and age, I wonder if she had a landline. Because when I was growing up, something like this could have been addressed by the neighbor calling the landline and saying, "Everything OK? Your doors are wide open."

But what are the chances they have a landline and that the neighbors know the number? I live in a duplex and I wouldn't know how to contact my neighbors like that. I have a landline, but only because it's part of my optimum triple play. I doubt anyone but my daughter knows that number, including my fiance.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  8. TheSportsPredictor

Yep, her own fault. Should have known a police officer might show up and not follow protocol and just start shooting.

9. CD Boogie

Man, you really love to miss the point. So she didn't contribute to the situation at all? Not a lick?

By the way, did you read the link I posted? Do you know all the particulars?

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You're right, she did completely contribute to her own slaughter at the hands of a cop...she's paid taxes in that county for years, which provided a job to her assailant.

Other than that, though, no...she did absolutely nothing to cause her cold-blooded murder and any thought to the contrary is completely ridiculous, or worse.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

From the link
    Neighbor James Smith, 62, who made the original call to a non-emergency police number to request a check-up on Jefferson, told The Fort Worth Star-Telegram he “never mentioned” anything about a burglary.

“All they had to do was come and make sure that they were OK,” Smith told the paper.

12. CD Boogie

See if you can follow along: a) She left her doors wide open at 2:30 a.m. >>> b) her neighbor thought it was suspicious, so he called the cops

If you don't have A and B, ya never get to C and all that.
    But what happened is that it got lost in translation and the cops reporting were responding as if it were a burglary, not a welfare check. Dispatch gave them bad info. Fuck ups all the way through

Draft saved Draft deleted