1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in cops gone feral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2017.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I mean, he's basically pressuring her to break the law, right? That's what it comes down to.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

This guy is screwed:
    It's on video
    Nurse was white
    She showed him paperwork that he was wrong
    He admits he was wrong to ask for the blood

Forget firing the guy, this cop needs to be arrested for assault, false arrest and abuse of power. You need to fire who ever gave the order to have the nurse arrested.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I probably didn't phrase that right, so let me be clearer. The cop and his lieutenant should both be fired. There's no excuse for what he did. Not trying to defend them at all, because there is no possible defense. Not only did he cross the line in this case, but now every arrest he's made and every blood sample he's drawn is subject to review because his methods are called into question. These incidents don't often wind up being isolated.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Anyone official response from the police union or FOP?

I won't hold my breath.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I saw a quote from a spokesman for the police chief this morning that said the chief had seen the video and found it very alarming.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This is what Kaepernick is fighting for!

7. BitterYoungMatador2

Good thing she wasn't a black nurse in Georgia. They woulda shot her ass. :rolleyes:

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, he was. "Do what I demand or I will arrest you." I will take it a step farther, though. The question shouldn't be whether what he wants you to do is against the law or not. The question is whether HE has the legal authority to order you to do it. For example, let's say you get pulled over at a DUI checkpoint, and the cop starts quizzing you. ... the "where are you going?" "Have you been drinking? etc. You are under no obligation to answer him. And he can't do a thing about it. If I say, "I don't want to answer your questions. Am I free to go or am I under arrest?" and let's say his response is, "Either you answer me or I am going to arrest you." The fact that what he is demanding doesn't require me to break the law doesn't change the fact that he is giving me an unlawful order. If he arrests me it is a bad arrest. He had no probable cause.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

What's Joe Arpaio's opinion? Give the cop a medal?

10. BitterYoungMatador2

"He's not taking one of mine!" - David Clarke

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So will it never "higher ups are very concerned but no firing" or "fired and hired by the next town over"?

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Thank Lyndon Johnson and the Congress of the 1960s for passing the Civil Rights Act because that's what this is intended to address, civil rights violations "under color of law"; where someone acting in a governmental position violates your civil rights. Well the civil remedy ($$$); remember without monetary penalties, what will motivate the government to do the right thing? Inherent good intentions? Well guess what, the Bill of Rights was in effect for over 80 years and how many civil rights violations were committed by the feds and states?

Draft saved Draft deleted