1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in cops gone feral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

"Don't look at me with your spitty blood face."

What a titanic asshole.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

The guy wasn't trespassing. He was Walking While Black. ... (And then he got all uppity!)

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

4. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

(Full disclosure, I am black). At what point does it become cost effective to talk back to the police in order to get a potential multi-million dollar settlement when they beat or shoot your ass on video? The downside is you die, the upside is all your relatives and your lawyer get paid.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Stoney likes this.
  5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Jaccbot Hinds, 40, who witnessed the shooting, said officers jumped out of their unmarked police car and fired without warning.

“They just hopped out of the car. It’s almost like they did a hit. They didn’t say please. They didn’t say put your hands up, nothing,” Hinds said.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

"None of the officers wore body cameras."

How convenient.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's something that the justice system has to start dropping the hammer on. No camera, or turning off the video/audio, needs to carry serious enough consequences to make the average officer keep the thing on and running. Dirty cops planting guns or stealing will take their chances, but quickly occurring street incidents will get caught on video far more often.

lakefront likes this.
  8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

If they were in an umarked car, likely they were plainclothes. There might be a legitimate problem putting cameras on them.

franticscribe likes this.
  9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The police are a para-military force and have to be reined in on a regular basis.

lakefront likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's a tough job and you have to share trust with fellow officers, I get that. I do think most officers figure they don't have a choice in backing up another officer's mistake or bad deed - even if everyone knows a cop is bad, you broke "the code." Superiors won't respect you. Chances are if you've been on the job for a few years you may not have handled everything perfectly and someone had your back. And if you are new are you really willing to chuck your career, or move to some outpost for it?
    I don't know what the answer is. Police unions pretty much decide who gets to be mayor in big cities.
    The laws give wide latitude to officer shootings. A simple "I feared for my life or the life of someone else" is usually enough, whether it is reasonable or not, whether there were less lethal options available or not.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Is there any video of that? ABC had video of the guy walking up to people pointing the pipe at them. They played a 911 call where someone said
    'I don't know if it's a gun.'

Draft saved Draft deleted