1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in cops gone feral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I just figured this was the all-encompassing police-involved shooting thread, not solely the "Cops are racist pieces of shit and all should die in a gonorrhea-fueled fire" thread. I have a feeling it wouldn't take long for the "Cops Acting Appropriately" thread to devolve into that anyway so I might as well post them here. Saves time.

Fred siegle likes this.
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

And I guess it's extra-wild because there's no tweet there ... ?
    So, if nothing else, how about you explain your post?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It was up there for a while. The short version is, a Naperville, Ill., cop was making a traffic stop. In the middle of it, a random car rolled up alongside the stopped car, and a guy got out and charged at the cop with a hatchet in his hand. The cop shot him six times and killed him. Dash cam and body cam caught the whole thing, and the video was on the tweet that has since been removed by Twitter (I assume for violating its rules on violent content).
    The video below is from the Naperville PD and edits it down a bit.

https://wgntv.com/news/naperville-police-release-footage-of-deadly-shooting-of-hatchet-wielding-man/

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Don't bring an ax to a gunfight.
    I thought that's been covered already.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In Chicago, sure. I'm not sure if that bit of news has made its way out to Naperville yet.

Fred siegle likes this.
  6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

This wouldn’t happen without all those hatchets flowing in from Indiana and Wisconsin.

7. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Wonder if they will find out that it was suicide by cop? Such a bizarre thing (not sbc but the events on the video) . That doesn't mean, though, it wasn't exactly what we saw. But I have to think suicide until further info.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I mean, it's called "Cops Gone Feral." You know what you're getting when you click.

lakefront likes this.
  9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

If I ever start a band, it’s going to be called gonorrhea Fire.

maumann, Batman and sgreenwell like this.
  10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Just watched episode one of Netflix’s new “Web of Make Believe.” Had to do with SWATting and the inevitable death of an innocent target. Gung ho Wichita cop shot an unarmed man answering his door because “I thought he had a gun.” Dude was perplexed, was compliant, then made the mistake of lowering his hands after figuring out they had the wrong house. Then police cuffed everyone in the house, held off medical attention for at least 20 minutes. Guy, of course, dies.

Officer never charged, never tried, never disciplined.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Two rookie cops placed on leave after leaving the scene of a fatal crash caused by a chase they were involved in. Oakland didn’t need another excuse not to trust cops. This doesn’t help.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Police solve only half of all homicides, I’ll leave it up to you to conclude where that number drops even more. This is in contrast to the 1960s, (before Miranda) when arrest rates were higher.

Draft saved Draft deleted