1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in cops gone feral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2017.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They may only shoot black people, but they'll manhandle anybody! Including blonde nurses doing their job.

It is getting harder and harder for me to give a shit about blue lives when they take it as a license to bully. Watch the video with the story.

‘This is crazy,’ sobs Utah hospital nurse as cop roughs her up, arrests her for doing her job

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That is amazing. Given the minor scale of what the case was about, this could be the most out-of-control response we've seen. Bonus points for his repeated admissions that what he wanted to do was unconstitutional and he had no probable cause, but fuck it I'm gonna do it anyway.

Nurse was formerly known as Alex Shaffer, U.S. Olympic skier in '98 and '02.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That's one of the most shocking things I've ever seen; man she's not even accused of being a criminal. Not even in the zone of potential criminality.

That guy needs to be fired; go start your security gig at Home Depot, now.

The luckiest thing that's happened so far is the nurse has not pursued the damages for the blatant violation of her civil rights. She needs to get paid for what she endured.

Most importantly, I commend her for protecting her patient's right to privacy.

Love how the guy in the body cam says "why don't we just get a warrant?" and the officer says we can't, which means YOU'RE NOT ENTITLED TO DRAW THE BLOOD!

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

That cop should be in significant trouble, including assault charges possibly. She did everything right. He did everything wrong. The guy in the background saying, "You're making a big mistake" was bang on the money.

5. dixiehack

Wasn't a guy in the background. It was her supervisor on speakerphone trying to talk some sense into Tackleberry.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm disturbed that the cop was pulled off the blood collecting unit, but is still on active duty.

Put him behind a desk until the inevitable resignation.

7. dixiehack

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Detective Payne? Was Sgt. Slaughter off duty?

Iron_chet and Baron Scicluna like this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Every Salt Lake City taxpayer should sue this jackass for their share of the inevitable seven-figure settlement the city will reach with the nurse. He should also be arrested himself, but that won't happen.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

“I’ll bring them all the transients and take good patients elsewhere,” Payne says.
    Terrible cop and an asshole to boot.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The cop's lieutenant ordered him to arrest the nurse if she didn't comply?
    WTF?
    What was even the point of that? The suspect they were chasing was dead. The guy they were trying to collect blood from was an innocent bystander. Were they really going to charge the badly injured guy who got run into head-on with a DUI? What prosecutor is going to pursue that?
    And even if you get the blood it's not going to be admissible in court.
    So much arrogance and stupidity that it astounds the senses.

12. dixiehack

And if they'd let him draw blood, the unconscious driver would have sued the police AND the hospital, a double whammy for taxpayers.

Draft saved Draft deleted