1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today, I visited Canada for the first time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Jun 20, 2011.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

And I have a few questions:

1. Why do the lights blink green? We could figure a reason for it.

2. When we entered Vancouver, all the tall, glass buildings looked all 3rd worldish to me. What's with that?

3. Really? A riot?

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

1. In Vancouver, as I recall, a blinking green means that the other traffic will have a blinking red which they treat as a stop sign. This happens in some intersections during less busy times of the day or at others where it's a 'pedestrian controlled' intersection which means it will change to red if a pedestrian has pressed a button to cross. In Toronto, though, a blinking green can mean an advanced green left turn ... almost got a Toronto friend killed the first time he drove in Vancouver.
    2. WTF?
    3. Go figure.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I've never been and really want to soon.
    My cousin and her family in Vancouver have invited me.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

HC, all these high rise, I'm guessing apartments?, didn't have any identifying logos or marks like you'd fine in the States. Just looked weird. Like a video game that hasn't rendered the background. I don't know how to explain it.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

They do the same in the U.S., but the direction that has right of way gets a blinking yellow light, instead of green. Only ever seems to happen after about midnight.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Maybe that's what keeping our great countries at arm's length ... :D

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

First visit to Canada, stopped at a Tim Horton's once I got to London. Don't know why other than I just had to have Tim Horton doughnuts.

Draft saved Draft deleted