1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today hurt ... a lot.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tripp McNeely, Mar 6, 2008.

1. deadliner

deadliner Member

What a business.

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

It could wind up being the best thing that ever happened to your friend. That may not help now, but check up on your friend(s). They didn't just stop being people just because they got whacked.

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

Sorry Tripp. I have a feeling more of us on the board will soon know what you just went through. Hope the best for your friends in finding new gigs.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

Absolutely. Often it seems people avoid those who were laid off because they think it's awkward - almost like talking to someone with cancer.

But one of the worst parts of being laid off is the sudden loss of contact. it can make someone feel like they've been completely left behind.

Give them a call, hook up with them, help them feel valued.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Fortunately for those who got whacked, once they land on their feet (or land on their asses, then stand up and dust themselves off), they'll realize that those who didn't get whacked are the ones who, in many ways, got completely left behind.

There is something to be said about facing the hard crossroads now and heading down the new path, rather than hanging on only to face it in five or 10 years.

But since the management that whacked these good folks didn't do it with their future well-being in mind, it will never, ever deserve a thank you, no matter how well things work out down the road for the whackees.

6. Born to Run

Born to Run Member

Tripp:
    I feel for all of you guys.
    I've been through that, when a number of close friends were laid off in one fell swoop. All have landed solid jobs in or out of the business since then.
    I know one thing: It was really good for my career, because my comfort zone was gone along with so many friends and I finally was spurred to get off my duff and find a better job. Which I soon did.

7. The best things you can do for your former colleagues is to keep your eyes and ears open for openings they might be interested in, either in journalism or a related field. If you used to hang out together, continue to do so. They didn't die -- they're just unemployed. And if you didn't hang out, give a call to those that you were closer to, and get together sometime to play golf on your day off or meet for lunch.

Go ahead and mention how much extra work you guys are pulling now that they're gone. It won't bother them to know they're missed. Do NOT tell them, 'Maybe it's for the best, because now they can move on.' It's too pollyanna. It's never better to be unemployed, with bills due and a family to support.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Dear Dean Singleton and various other robber-barons who are gutting newspapers then getting their bitchboy minions to make speeches to local city councils about how much ownership loves journlism,

Please Eat Poison.

Signed,

Petey Pureheart.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Keep your head up, Tripp. Your friends need at least that.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wow. All I can really say is I'm sorry. I know that's cold comfort at a time like this.

This thread really puts a human face on the statistics and the reports of dismissals.

11. EE94

EE94 Guest

well, at least an anonymous face

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Solid post. My former boss and I have a regular coffee date to catch up on old things. He left the business shortly after my layoff. We get together, remember the great days and the rough days ... and pay tribute to the great team we were.

And that reminds me ... it must be time for that trip to Starbucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted