1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toby Keith's I Love This Bar & Grill ... ugh

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bradley Guire, Sep 15, 2013.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I've been to the one at the Patriots' stadium and it was pretty sweet.
    I mean, yes, the vibe sucked and I thought I was going to get lynched for voting for Obama when I walked in but once we sat down, the waitress was really nice, the food was great, the portions were huge and the price was more than fair.
    I'd definitely go again. Not nearly as awful as I thought it would be.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I much refer a local place vs. a chain, and in a city like Chicago, we have plenty of great options.

But, you can't paint with such a broad brush.

Chain bars/restaurants often draw big crowds in the burbs and smaller cities -- bigger than their local counterparts. Big crowds lead to more tips.

Chains also usually have better systems in place. Staffing, inventory, etc. are usually well handled. Consistency is good.

Their drinks might be horribly sweet, and made with ghastly flavored vodka, but depending on where you are, they're not always the worst option.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I understand the appeal to some. Consistency is the reason all chain bar and restaurants are successful.
    It's just not my thing.

As much as possible, I want to go some place that is part of the local community, whether it's a bar or a restaurant. Some times you get a bad one, that's part of the deal.

Maybe that's not for everybody, but it's one of the things I enjoy when traveling, finding local bars and restaurants.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Consistency and marketing.

Never forget how easily the public is swayed by ad campaigns and a name attached to yet another place serving the same stuff as Chili's/Applebee's/TGI Fridays/etc.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I hardly ever eat at chains if I'm close to home and know where else to go, and if I'm planning a trip ahead of time it's easy to check Yelp or Trip Advisor and find some local favorites.

But sometimes when you've been on the interstate all day or covering a game in some middle-sized burg and need a bite and maybe a beer you really just want to know what you are getting into without having to think or research too much. That's when I'm likely to hit a Chili's or a Uno's or whatever.

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Not even a Hulk Hogan's Pastamania?

Anyway, looking at the list of cities to feature Toby's place, I have no idea why one is coming to Boise. It's not exactly a tourist/vacation destination, so it'll have to rely on locals and repeat business.

Draft saved Draft deleted