1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To you ... we throw the torch (2010 sj.com CFB poll has a new owner)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jun 26, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: To you ... we throw the torch (2010 SportsJournalists.com CFB poll seeks a new owner)

I feel there's white smoke on the horizon; a few details have to be worked out with a longtime pollster...

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Re: To you ... we throw the torch (2010 SportsJournalists.com CFB poll seeks a new owner)

I'd like to redeem myself as a respectable non-nonvoter this season for whoever the hell it is that's doing the poll.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The torch has been passed... I Should Coco, a poll veteran, will carry on the sj tradition like no other.
    Those who have volunteered to vote this year have been forwarded along to him, but if you want to send him a note, feel free.
    He'll set the guidelines. Please cooperate with him as you did me. Wait. More so, please.
    I will advise as needed, but the rest is up to him...

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Thanks for passing the word along, slappy. And thanks for the torch, too.

The season kicks off Sept. 2, so we'll get things rolling. Here's who told slappy, via PM, that they would like to be part of our poll this fall:

crusoes, slappy4428, precious roy, sportsguydave, beanpole, McNuggetsman, Boom_70, Oz, Suicide Squeezer, Joe_Schmoe, AgatePage, Huggy, Piotr Rasputin, I Should Coco, rumpleforeskin, KYSportswriter, Wendell Gee, Ben_Hecht, Layman, Starman, Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, TrooperBari, WS, Bishop Don Magic Juan, Della9250, Hank_Scorpio Madhavok

If anyone else wants to join our merry band, go ahead and PM me by Sunday night. And for those who are already aboard, go ahead and PM your top 25 preseason list to me by noon CDT Monday, Aug. 23. We'll get the preseason poll tallied and posted within a day or two (I don't think it will be as easy as slappy claims, but we'll give it a shot).

Overall, keep in mind that while we're all passionate about college football, this poll is for fun ... there's no overpriced crystal bowl or spaceman statue to hand out in January to fine gentlemen such as Nick Saban, Mack Brown or Kirk Ferentz ( :D).

So be serious (and timely!) with your picks each week, but remember this isn't life-or-death. Even in Alabama.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I was late one time. You called me "shit for brains."

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That was based on your picks, not your tardiness.

7. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Hate to see pass it up Slappy, but hey, I understand. Thanks for taking charge Coco. I would have if no one else had, but the story part woulda been difficult for me (which is odd considering most of us are writers).
    In any case, I’m just glad it’s going to continue. My preseason poll is in the works, I’m still debating where to put Utah State.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I'm putting Eastern Michigan No. 1.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Hey, right now they're undefeated! :D

10. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

Are you sure about that?

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Coco: Will you have the same deadline -- 12 CDT each week -- as Slappy?

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Already, Hanker has tied himself to a sinking ship.

Draft saved Draft deleted