1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To those of you who sit in the press box, How True is this statement?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by heyabbott, Nov 19, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Maybe they are good enough, but the built in prejudice in athletics causes those in power to discount them and steer them away from developing their athleticism, much like black athletes are steered away from tennis, quarterback and catcher, whites are steered away from major sports participation.
    Clearly physical athletic talents aren't unique to African Americans any more than mathematical talents are unique to Asians

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Great post.

3. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

I'm guessing Rhoden spends a lot of time in hockey press boxes.

Don't worry "21," help is on the way. At Northwestern's journalism program for high schoolers this past summer, only 23 of the 88 kids were male.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

White males don't need no stinkin journalism school. They just show up when they want and start working, usually at twice the salary of non-white-males. In fact, this isn't restricted to journalism, but white men don't need to go to law school or pass the bar to be lawyers. Just an interview to fill out the paperwork. White male Doctors? Never went to medical school, they just start their residency at Johns Hopkins or the Mayo clinic.
    The only white guys who go to college or grad schools are merely the ones that CHOOSE to go to meet girls. And they usually just get them drunk and rape them, but because they are white guys, they don't get prosecuted by the white male prosecutors or convicted by the white male judges.

5. Show me your tits!!

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Damn it feels good to be a cracka.

7. I don't see a lot of black reporters during my press-box travels. Maybe two per game, if that.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If he's talking about the media corps in my city, that number would be one... What does that have to do with anything? Who cares?

I can't name a single white defensive back or tailback, does that mean the NFL is racist?

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Thank you, Mizzou. (Hey, that rhymes.)

If I spent my time counting racial quotas in the press box, I'm wondering if I'd have time to write my best story.

Well, perhaps I would if racial baiting was my main trick.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

His first post since May, and it's about Lugnuts' tits. A reply with two blue birds should be coming eventually.

11. Mediator

Mediator Member

Listen to the angry white men all of a sudden.

After the serious answers (and stats) which say there aren't a lot of minorities or women in the press box, we get "tits," "cracka," "race-baiting," reverse racism and the sardonic date rape post. (Apologies if I am incorrect in my assumption that white men wrote the posts containing these words).

You must be the guys who sit around in the press boxes containing one or two minorities and complain that you can't get a better job because papers only want to hire -- women and minorities!

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Um, newbie, the tits one is a longstanding sj joke; the jokee surely laughed out loud when she read the post. The other points, you may have a point.

Draft saved Draft deleted