1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To those of you who sit in the press box, How True is this statement?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by heyabbott, Nov 19, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

"In 2007, I am one of two or three African Americans in the press box," Rhoden said.

True or False?

2. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Combining the people who also cover the teams I do, I know of one.

Given the area, that's par for the course.

But I doubt his claim.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

In which press box? The last basketball game I covered, I'd say about a half-dozen African-American reporters were there and the last high school game I covered, I wrote right next to another.

I wonder if Rhoden looks at numbers before he writes anything.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

For Rhoden to sit in a press box it would be the Knicks, the Jets, the Giants, the Yankees, the Mets, NBA and NFL playoffs, the NCAA tournament and maybe the BCS Championship. Only 2 or 3 African Americans from across the nation cover these games?

5. If he's talking about press row at, say, a Celtics game, he might be off by one.

6. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

If the press box is in any of the five cities where I cover college or pro games in this state, he'd be right. If he's talking about a national event like the Final Four or Super Bowl, of course not.

7. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

is there an icon for one-trick fucking pony?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

At a national event, obviosuly the statement is preposterous.
    But consider the 7 NYC area papers who travel regularly with most of the NY teams --- Times, News, Post, Newsday, Star-Ledger, The Record, Gannett Westchester-Rockland -- and tell me how many black beat writers there are on all of the major beats combined.

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

If I am sitting in the press box, one of my co-workers isn't there. He's the only consistent one covering three major Division I universities.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I've been in the press box of college and pro games where there were only two or three African-Americans present. I wouldn't say it's the usual circumstance, but it's not all that rare.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

rhoden or heyabbott?

12. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Just going by the game I covered Sunday, there were four African-American sports writers on my row, and at least half a dozen more on the second and third rows.

Draft saved Draft deleted