1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To this paper, there is apparently something wrong with that

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dooley_womack1, Aug 14, 2009.

1. GRUDGE

GRUDGE Member

those who militantly advocate for gay marriage don't strike me as being open minded.
    Who said that gay marriage had to be okay? It's not as if the majority of the country approves of it.
    [/quote]

I agree.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Why should I be open minded toward people who are bigoted toward me?

Answer that one for me, Stitch. You're on the clock. ::)

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You know, I checked out that paper's website, read through some of the forums. Seems like it's a pretty conservative outfit, editorial forums on Obama's birth certificate, a running thread on the FLDS bust in Texas from a year ago...., I'm not surprised they took that position. On another front though, I think Gannett DOES allow people to include domestic partners on its health care coverage.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You don't have to be open minded and neither do I.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Southern Utah has to be one of the most conservative areas in the West. More so than Provo/Orem or Logan. They don't call rural GOP legislators from Utah the Cowboy Caucus just for the heck of it.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Well, thank goodness newspapers are doing so well that we can just start refusing paid announcements and whatnot.

:)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go finish getting dressed. Clearly, it's still 1985 and I've got a hot date ready to go see the premiere of Back To The Future.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

They can afford to turn down this when accepting it would lead to big advertisers pulling ads. And if you think don't think that matters, try pitching a story on how to get the best deal from car dealers.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You're welcome to be a bigot all you want, stitch. But don't get upset when the rest of us call you what you are. An ugly hateful bigot.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Fixed.

And Stitch, keep digging your hole here. It's entertaining.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If the paper wanted to reflect its readership, it would be running announcements of human/goat matings at least a few times a week.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I not sure if that would be offensive to me or not.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Feeling the tolerance, and you proved my point sportschick and Cadet. Sportschick, you've used the hateful bigot line before. I guess Obama and Biden are hateful bigots as well for not supporting gay marriage or even not pushing for "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" to be rewritten. If anyone here thinks there is a consensus on gay marriage, then I think you're in the wrong business.

Draft saved Draft deleted