1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To this paper, there is apparently something wrong with that

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dooley_womack1, Aug 14, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

A policy he undoubtedly came up with ... on Aug. 9. ::)

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I wonder what, if anything, corporate will have to say about this publisher's decision.

I worked at a small Gannett daily in an ultra-conservative area a few years ago and it would run these announcements. Took a lot of flak every time one ran, but they did it. The policy there was if the marriage was legally recognized in the jurisdiction it was performed, then the paper would run it. I assumed all Gannett papers had a similar policy.

4. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Keep in mind folks that this is Utah we're talking about. Not exactly the most open minded state. I don't think it's as much of a Gannett issue as it is a Utah issue.

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

It does. It values Anglos AND Saxons.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Where is the Elkhart Truth when you need it!

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Gannett values money. It will blow off a $150-200 wedding announcement if it might cost them a $2,000 a month advertiser. Being St. George's location, I wonder how many group shots they've run in the wedding section.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

For those who think the publisher is intolerant, those who militantly advocate for gay marriage don't strike me as being open minded.

Who said that gay marriage had to be okay? It's not as if the majority of the country approves of it.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, that certainly makes it OK.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Stitch, my comment was aimed at the polygamous sect near St. George, not all LDS, but I agree, it was a gratuitous shot by me.
    That said, I can't believe a publisher made the comment that a picture might make readers "uncomfortable." That right there is why newspapers have lost their way. Newspapers should never be afraid to ruffle a few feathers. I realize the area is very conservative, but this is going to cause a bigger stink than just running the thing would have done. Gannett can't claim with a straight face that they allow individual newspapers to establish standards that reflect the communities they serve, because they don't. I wonder if it would have been different if they just bought a regular ad - Gannett's standards there seem a bit lower.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Dan, I apologize for my insult and deleted it in my post.

Draft saved Draft deleted