1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To the track, to the wall, he is ????

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Aug 22, 2010.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Vin Scully to announce his plans for next season on Sunday:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-dodgers-vin-scully-20100822,0,4307045.story

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

She is ... DB?

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/79314/

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't know...according to the time stamps, he posted his 14 minutes before you posted yours.

WHO'S THE DB NOW?? :D :D :D

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

As a child of the 50s and the son of a die-hard Brooklyn Dodgers fan, I grew up listening to Vin Scully. There are basically two people who made me the baseball fan I am, my father and Vin Scully.
    He remains to this day the best baseball announcer who ever lived. There will never be anyone like him.
    I found out in my later professional days, when I had the opportunity to meet him, he also is one of the finest, most humble human beings you will ever meet.
    He'll be 83 in November, he has been the voice of the Dodgers for 61 years -- right out of Fordham University -- and I suspect he is ready to retire.

If so, to quote one of his many memorable calls:
    "If you have a sombrero, raise it to the sky."

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Really a shame he's not doing national games. Wish he could do one more World Series.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Boy, the Dodgers are going to become alarmingly irrelevant with the end of this season, aren't they? Torre and Scully likely to retire, team stuck in budgetary purgatory b/c of their idiot owners' divorce, once-exciting core not nearly as good as it seemed (Russell Martin looks washed up, Matt Kemp is a flake, etc etc). Yeesh.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Like zillions of others, I grew up with Scully teaching me about baseball through the transistor radio attached to my ear.
    Almost 30 years ago, I got the Dodgers beat for the smallest suburban paper that traveled. Scully lived in the area, he got the paper and he knew who I was, which was astounding to me.
    On the road, aside from the stadium, you never saw him much, except maybe in the coffee shop.
    On night at the St. Louis Marriott, I was sitting at the bar. He came in, sat next to me, bought me a beer.
    Just before that, there had been a PR blurb about him lending his name to a fundraising effort for Retinitis Pigmentosa, which is a genetic eye disease that leads to blindness, for which there is no cure. It runs rampant through my mom's side of the family and my brother has it. It turned out that Scully's wife Sandy also had relatives inflicted with it, so Scully was trying to help raise money for research.
    My mom and dad were also involved with the local RP group, which had an office in Century City.
    When I sat with Scully that night in St. Louis, I told him that I wanted to thank him for helping with this cause and I explained my family's connection. Then I asked him, why did they need an office in Century City that is probably expensive, when they could find a cheaper place elsewhere. He said he didn't know, and that was that.
    A couple of weeks later, he came up to me in the press dining room at Dodger Stadium. He said he had inquired about the office in Century City and found out that it was donated. I didn't expect him to even bother with that, but he did. He's a wonderful person.

As for what's going to happen, I gotta think this is it for him. The Dodgers are in such disarray because of the McCourts, the team is in shambles. I think Joe Torre is going to call it quits, too. Thanks, McCourts, you've fucked up yourselves, fucked up your family and fucked up the Dodgers.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I'm a Giants fan but I grew up watching and listening to Vin Scully. Baseball won't be the same without him. One of baseball's all-time greats and an even greater person.

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I'm hoping he'll announce that he's only going to work home games next season. As much as he said he doesn't want a farewell season, he deserves one.

With XM radio and a subscription to MLB.TV, I've listened to Vin a lot the last couple of years. It has been well worth the money. He is a genius.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If anyone deserves an hour special on ESPN to announce his future plans, it's Vin Scully. He should announce he's taking his talents to South Beach, and everyone will applaud.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I grew up listening to Scully and Joe Garagiola on NBC's Game of the Week. Every once in a while, if I'm driving late at night, I'll turn my XM radio to a Dodgers game just to listen to him. And I'm far from being a Dodgers fan.

I still think it's amazing that he started his time with the Dodgers when my parents were the ages of my youngest kid.

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

LA Times beat writer Dylan Hernandez just posted on Twitter that the Dodgers are saying Scully will return. ESPNLA saying the same thing.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/dodger-thoughts/post/_/id/7639/whew-hoo-vins-coming-back

Draft saved Draft deleted