1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To the annals of short tenures at a job ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd buy a good knife sharpening stone. Always losing those.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My first full-time job was at a paper in a grungy, faded industrial city. The paper was cheap and instead of flying people in for interviews, it hired out-of-staters over the phone. Photog shows up, and after taking in the sights on the drive into the office, says, "I didn't know I'd be working in fucking Tijuana" and quits.

3. ?

4. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Funny thing about my guy is that he took a (somewhat) similarly crummy gig in a crummier area.

5. awriter

awriter Active Member

At one of my former shops, the executive editor had been on the job about two or three weeks before he came in on a Sunday and slipped a note under the publisher's door, never to be heard from again. The thing is, he had a column that day about the changes he was considering for the paper.
    But four hours, wow, that's impressive.

6. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

That Tijuana line is priceless

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Fixed.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I sat through one of those, too. I was hired after lunch, and I called the next day and said, "You know what? No." I got my first job at a paper three weeks later.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Sounds like quite the pickle.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

fucking dress codes.

11. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Years ago, my former boss sent a first-time stringer out to a football. He came back and reported that quarterback Joe Schmoe completed 10 passes on 15 attemptions.

Needless to say, he was one-and-done.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

So you guys think attemptions are a meaningless that there, too?

Draft saved Draft deleted