1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To the annals of short tenures at a job ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Sep 24, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

... add the recent college grad who came in to our office on Tuesday to start training for a copy desk job. After four hours of working with our best news-side page designer, he takes a break, buttonholes the copy desk chief and tells him "this really isn't my thing," and splits, apparently headed to a writing job at an alt-weekly in, as he put it, "a major market."

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Wow.

Long before I arrived at my first shop, a new copy editor came in at 9 to learn the ropes from one of the vets. Three hours later, he suggest they take a lunch break and offers to show the newbie one of the better greasy diners in town. They decline, leave on their own and are never heard from again.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Journalism isn't all you thought, son? Be glad you didn't get to cover cross-country.

4. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Copy editor/designer comes in two hours late his first day, does the HR paper push, trains the rest of the night, trains the second night, e-mails the HR office with the subject line "To whoever reads this" that he's just not into the job...because we don't watch enough TV in the office.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm just aggravated that I was off and didn't get to see it.

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

New business reporter comes in, takes lunch and doesn't come back -- after moving more than 500 miles to take the dang job. He calls later to inform us he quit.

The best pat of it was the e-mail announcing this to the newsroom by the then-ME, who's a witty guy. It perfectly captured the "WTF?" nature of the scenario.

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

And I give mad props to all of them for getting out before they ever got in.

8. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Back at the college paper, new reporter plans on returning to the newsroom to write his story after a few early-evening interviews with players. But after four hours pass, he never shows up.

"Hey, Jake, are you going to work on that story from home, or were you still planning on coming in?"

"Oh, my fault. I forgot that one of my friends turns 21 tonight! I'm out at the bars."

"Right, well, what about the story?"

"Ah, it wasn't that interesting anyway."

That was one of his first -- and last -- days at the paper.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If I recall, the Ann Arbor News once had an SE that moved to town, then went back to his town for Christmas where his wife and kids still lived -- and decided not to come back.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I almost did that with my family a couple times at my last job.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

In my younger days, I quit a job midway through the second day.

12. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Can't fault 'em these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted