1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To SJ's practicing singers and thespians

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by terrier, Feb 25, 2008.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I'll be hopping up on stage Friday night (as part of my union's annual entertainment extravaganza satitizing the news of '07 in song and sketch for an audience of our state's movers and shakers), and would love to hear from any of you folks who've taken part in something similar.
    We're all rehearsed, geeked and ready for this one. I took part for the first time last year, and am in four numbers this year, including parodies of two rock classics and a famous movie tune (something that has stood the test of time better than the five you heard last night will). No drag for me, luckily (or pleather pants, like last year when we spoofed "Cum on Feel the Noize" - no wonder Kevin Dubrow checked out). It's a great show - we've got some people in the cast who can actually sing, and the house band kicks arse.
    And afterward, cast party and our crack at our hosts' legendary buffet (how I compensate for not being able to tie one on anymore).
    Advice? Your experiences at bthis kind of thing? Bueller? Bueller?

2. Thespians?
    [​IMG]

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Paging HC. Paging HC. HC, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Except, she's a PRO singer. :)

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Over/Under on the tired "What about lesbians ... oh, you said thespians" joke?

5. The winner is "one."
    Check the top of the thread.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think that went way over BBAM's head, F_B

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

*hanging head in shame. walking away quietly*

8. terrier

There are only thespians in the cast, no lesbians (at least that I know of).

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Since it's a union event, I guess you'll all be playing Monopoly at the cast party.

Best advice as far as avoiding jitters is to be in charge of your breathing- watch out for the tendency to have short, shallow breaths, as that's a natural response when people get nervous. Keep your breaths moderately deep and moderately slow and you should keep your cool.

Over-enunciate and be sure to talk/sing to the back of the audience, not the front row.

10. terrier

I'll be okay with the jitters, Irish - Mrs. T. is amazed I don't get them at rehearsal (or yesterday's dry run for some folks from the inner-city Baptist church that serves as our rehearsal hall). Aside from a screwup on one number involving going to the wrong mikes (one member missed our earlier runthrough), it went well.
    We rehearse Thursday at our site (a 1,250-capacity banquet hall) to take care of acoustics, lighting, how we're projecting, etc. I have no problem projecting, and actually have to back off a bit from the mike there. Our best female singer, who usually performs with a local comedy revue, will be struggling with being unable to see the band from the stage there (most of us rely on sound cues from the synth player).
    It's a more rock-heavy show than usual this year - our director is somewhat of a metalhead. Even with all the pols and swells, a good metal number gets over big with a crowd that will be quite liquored up or comatose from the buffet by showtime.

11. terrier

Updated: To SJ's practicing singers and thespians - it's showtime!

We rehearsed at the world famous Venus de Milo in Swansea, Mass. (not to be confused with the late and badly missed club across the street from Fenway Park) tonight, and we are geeked and ready for tomorrow!
    For the record, my roles include a commercial singer, a law student, a devil, and a governor's office staffer (I can't wait to tell you about this number - I'm struggling to keep some of this stuff under wraps).
    And the mystery guest...let's just say it's someone you don't have to be a Rhode Islander (or Massachusettser) to have heard of.
    A little more about this show:
    http://www.rifuture.org/showDiary.do?diaryId=1759
    P.S.: I am not a Providence Journal employee, though I am a Guild member. Ringers make up about half the cast, from friends of Guild members to a couple of pros.

Draft saved Draft deleted