1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To SJ:NY

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

There are four places you missed. In the District of Columbia, first cousins can marry without restrictions. That's also true in North Carolina unless they're double cousins, who can't marry under any circumstances.

In Indiana and Utah, first cousins can marry if both are at least 65. They can also marry in Utah if both are 55 or older and one is unable to reproduce.

2. LemMan

LemMan Member

novelist...I'll address it...your 'twin towers' reference was insensitive and cruel, and you did it to get a rise out of folks. It's a shame you have to use the senseless death of nearly 3,000 of your countrymen to make a point. But you pissed me off, so you succeeded.

Way to go.

Perhaps I should have ignored it, but I chose not to.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The fact that some of you know so much about these laws scares me.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Google is a wonderful tool Frank... not personal experience

5. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Hey, southerners want to keep waving the Stars and Bars, I think us northerners are well within our rights to keep reminding them who won.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

This thread is quickly becoming the most retarded one ever.

7. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Something it could never reach without you gracing it with your presence.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

And with yours, it's arrived.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Like slappy, I'm a fan of Google. Honest!

Although, in Ontario, marriage between first cousins is also legal and has a precedent in my family (my grandmother's brother married one of their cousins -- they never had children).

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This thread started out funny, and now it sucks.

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Actually, I'm enjoying it immensely as it twists and turns like a bad soap opera.

To think that people still believe Yanks and southerners exist is a riot. I heard this sort of bullshit when I arrived in the south a year ago. I've met several rejects who insist that the south never lost the war and that it didn't have anything at all to do with slavery. I don't bother pointing out for them that my grandfather was the first in his family to live north of the Mason-Dixon line and that his lineage traces directly to General Robert E. Lee. And let's not forget that nearly 20 percent of the people in my state are Hispanic. Of course, these morons would just laugh and say that we Yankees believe too much of that book-learnin' stuff.

The north-south thing is a farce. And anyone who would equate the burning of a city during a war with a brutal terrorist attack blatantly targeted to American civilians is a first-class asshole. That being said, only a jackass would write a headline such as was described in the start of this thread.

12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Little known fact that the exact quote was "Houston, we've had a problem here," followed by, "Houston, we've had a problem." And it was Jack Swigert who said it first.

Second link: http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/history/apollo/apollo-13/sounds/

Draft saved Draft deleted