1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To SJ:NY

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Of course not all Georgians are hicks. The Ned Beatty character who was made to squeal like a pig before being anally raped by a rural Georgian, was a Georgian from the suburbs of Atlanta.

To be fair, on this date in Georgia history:

1887: Atlanta druggist and chemist John S. Pemberton registered a patent for "Coca-Cola Syrup and Extract."

http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Projects/gainfo/tdgh-jun/jun28.htm

Maybe the tabloid folks can write a headline from that.

Just trying to help.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The proportion of yankees to born-and-bred Southrons in Atlanta is surpassed only by Fort Lauderdale, Tampa and maybe Charlotte.

And you have to bleed for Ned Beatty, a veteran of 145 movies who is best remembered only for his first -- when he was bent over an oak tree by a mountain man.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Ned was also in All The Presidents Men, but in a less memorable role.

Another Georgia Fun Fact:

Yes, you may legally marry your first cousin.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sherman wasn't bad at first ... he just went too far.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Hey, it's a free country. You should be free to screw up your life in any way you see fit ...
    8)

6. Herbert Anchovy

You mean to say you've never been attracted to a first cousin??

First-cousin marriages constitute the greatest percentage of heterozygosity in the world.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And there's your vocabulary word for the week.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, you can marry first cousin in 19 states and, under special circumstances, in four more.
    Funny thing was, maybe 15 years ago, i stood up in a wedding of a high school buddy in Michigan, who married his first cousin. First cousin marriages arent legal in Michigan...

The 19 States allowing first cousin marriage are :
    Alabama Florida New Jersey Tennessee
    Alaska Georgia New Mexico Texas
    California Hawai New York Vermont
    Colorado Maryland Rhode Island Virginia
    Connecticut Massachusetts South Carolina

The 4 States allowing first cousin marriage under special conditions are :
    Arizona

Maine
    Illinois

Wisconsin

Arizona :
    First Cousin Marriage is allowed IF each of the couple is more than 65 years old, or if one of them is unable to reproduce.

Illinois:
    First Cousin Marriage is allowed IF they both are 50 years old or older, or if one of the partner is sterile.

Maine:
    First Cousin Marriage is allowed IF either partner present documented evidence that the couple has had genetic counseling.

Wisconsin:
    First Cousin Marriage is allowed IF the female is at least 55 years old or if one of them is sterile.

9. sportsed

sportsed Guest

Novelist: Sorry you took such offense to that headline. As a northerner, though not a Yankee so to speak, it looked benign to me. Maybe it's because Atlanta used to have a team called the Flames. Would the headline RANGERS BURN CHICAGO be just as awful in your eyes? Chi-boogie had a fire of some repute (granted, it was started by a cow and not an army).

I wonder how many southerners got pissed at that headline and how many though, "Eh, horrible headline, but whatever. What does Richard Johnson have to say?"

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think it's pretty fucking funny. And Spnited was dead on. Though Dye's crack about giving him that much history was the funniest moment of this thread. I hope this keeps going though for purely selfish reasons.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Lee Jackson, you throw that word at spelling bee and nobody wins.

Yeah, I think the Rangers burn Chicago reference is equally offensive, though it's not pointed at my area of the country. I gotta be honest, I wouldn't be protesting it like I am this one. Mets shake up Giants. Jets beat Saints amid flood of turnovers. Knicks bomb away against OKC. Take your pick. They're all offensive. Whether it's a natural disaster or an atrocity perpretrated by man (or even a cow), it shouldn't be used as a punchline in a newspaper headline, but these jerks look for ways to do it on a daily basis.

Am I being a little thin-skinned about this? Perhaps. I've just had enough of this particular reference.

OK, rant truly over now.

12. Herbert Anchovy

I don't even know if it's a word.

After Game 2, 1996 World Series:
    Yankees skedaddling

Draft saved Draft deleted