1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To our Jewish Friends...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Lucky Charms would be funnier than stones.
    Probably not the intent of the ritual, but you have to admit it's funnier.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I think in J.D. Salinger's fictional Glass family, which featured a Jewish dad and an Irish mom, the kids threw Lucky Charms.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not Funny Buck. I've read some mean spirited posts here but this one may take the cake as one of the most insensitive ever. I always thought you were better than that Buck.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Mea culpa?

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

You're offering an apology because Boom says you're insensitive? Now that's funny.

Please...take it back.

Easy fast to everyone. I'm working the NHL North American opener tomorrow, which, according to the ancient laws, is worse than eating. At least my co-workers scheduled dinner before sundown.

6. Boom_70

Buck I'm sorry that I snapped at you but I thought you were making fun of the near tragedy that hit 21 as a little girl .

One year during the annual ritual some Lucky Charms accidentally got into the cage of her beloved hamster - Pumpkin.

Later on when family had sat down to dinner 21 heard what sounded like Pumpkin gasping for air.
    It turned out that Pumpkin was choking on the pink hearts from the lucky charms.

Luckily her uncle Bernie was a renowned Ear Nose and Throat Doctor and was able to dislodge the hearts from Pumpkins wind pipe and restore normal breathing.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

We have to stop talking about Lucky Charms, I'm getting hungry.

RIP Pumpkin. I will remember you at Yizkor today.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

See, that's because a pink heart isn't really a 'charm' of any kind. The only 'charm' in Lucky Charms are the green clovers, because a clover can be a lucky charm.
    Pink hearts, yellow moons and blue diamonds? Those aren't really charms per se, just recognizable shapes with assigned colors.

9. Boom_70

I think the pink heart is more mashmellow like - Poor Pumpkin probably tried to wash it down with some water and it inflated in his tiny throat.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The pink heart, and the other alleged 'charms,' are indeed partially dehydrated marshamallows. So I think your hypothesis is sound.

On a tangential note, I always thought there should be a savory counterpart to the partially-dehydrated-marshmallows-with-oats cereals such as Lucky Charms and Count Chocula.
    You could replace the oats with tiny bits of beef jerky, and you could replace the partially dehydrated marshmallows with tiny bits of dehydrated onions and mushroom.
    And, of course, serve with A1 instead of milk.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

A Jewish Holiday tradition thread turns into a debate about the chemical makeup of Lucky Charms cereal, augmented by the story of a choking hamster.

This is why I'm a paid SJ subscriber!

Woody Long likes this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Happy New Year to the oldest thread I could find to bump!!

TigerVols likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted