1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To our Jewish Friends...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Gut Gebentched Yur!

2. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

My grandma called and asked if I was getting time off for Passover. I told her I don't know, check back in about 6 months.

Old people make me laugh. I know, it's sad. But she's 88. I laugh.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

On the other hand, you are easily amused... (Squishy... see? You're laughing...)

I'm still trying to understand this cereal thing...

4. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Man, you know me too well. And we never did the cereal thing where I'm from.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, not knowing you too well as much as being an easy read...

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

To anyone who will be fasting, I hope it's an easy one.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It never is.

I always feel sorry for our rabbi. At least I'm just sitting in the pews while I'm fasting. The rabbi has to stand for a long part of the day.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

My grandpa refused to fast. He was a Russian-born immigrant who escaped the pogroms with his family when he was 6, after soldiers set fire to the house with a baby inside. He figured he'd suffered enough.

On Yom Kippur, he'd sit in the window of Ashkenaz on Devon Ave, and eat. All day. Everyone coming and going to temple would see him there, eating, all day.

The hell he got from my grandmother had to be ten times worse the fasting. And probably worse than the pogroms.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

And may his memory be a blessing. ;)

I was always fond of the ancient joke about the guy who caught his friend eating oysters. "Nu, Yom Kippur has an R in it."

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Do you make kids throw away high-sugar cereal so they have something think about when they're hungry?
    'I sure am hungry. I wish they hadn't made me throw away all that Count Chocula the other day.'

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You're supposed to throw stones, casting away your sins.

Gave the kids way too much to think about on the way to the ER, after taking an 8 pound rock to the frontal lobe.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

that is one way to get out of services

Draft saved Draft deleted