1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To our Jewish Friends...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Are the terms 'temple' and 'synagogue' synonymous?

2. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Could be both. The ox (worker) works himself to the point of death and the dragon (corporate elite) blows fire and consumes the ox.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Yes. Elitists reject both and go with the hebrew 'shul.'

4. So, stop writing 5768 on your checks.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Summer of (57) '69.

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Our rabbi suggested everyone wear very colorful clothes yesterday. One of the teenagers, who was to make the baggies of shredded bread to throw for Tashlich, decided to extend the idea. So anybody walking through a little park in our particular corner of the Bible Belt was treated to the sight of a bunch of Jews, standing on a footbridge, flinging Trix into the stream below. ;)

L'shana tovah umatecha (sp?), y'all.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

We used to do Froot Loops, until the town decided we were killing the fish in the local pond. Switched to marshmallows...they melted before they could catch us.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I didn't realize jewry involved the ritualized flinging of high-sugar cereal.
    Your belief system fascinates me.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I kind of like the idea that my sins still have the potential to be colorful. 8)

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

21 tipped me off on this custom a few years back and suggested that I buy stock in Kellogg's and General Mills a few days before the Holidays. Its been a profitable tip.

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Buck, have you ever been to a bar/bat mitzvah? We throw candy -- yes, literally [/crossthread] -- at the birthday kid at the end.

Boom, I always heard sell on Rosh Hashanah and buy on Yom Kippur. But this year, I'd check with Reb Franks.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've been to a Jewish wedding, and I've been to a seder, but I never got to attend a bar/bat mitzvah.
    And I didn't know that candy throwing was involved.
    What's with you folks and throwing stuff?

Draft saved Draft deleted