1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To my fellow Minnesotans...Halloween Blizzard '91

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Oct 31, 2009.

1. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I have never covered a snow football game. Seen some on TV. Played in some in our front yard. Oh, the perils of southern Michigan!

Besides the economy, etc.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Played some at Allmendinger too...

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the Veterns Day snowstorm in 1987 in the Washington, D.C. area.

I woke up to hear forecasts of two to four inches of snow and learned that both Godless County and Snooty County schools were two hours late. Two hours later, I get ready to go to school in Snooty County.

I looked out and saw how much snow was already on the ground and said "looks like a lot of snow for two to four inches." My school bus comes to pick me up for what's normally a one-hour drive. This time, it took two hours. The bus driver did not put on the radio (so you know this is 1987), so by the time we finally get to school, the principal saw me and said, "school's closed." That mean we'd have to turn around and drive back.

This bus driver never let us eat on the bus until that day. She let us eat our lunches before we made the long drive home. This drive took four hours. By the time I finally got home, my father was livid about my being on the bus for that long. The next time school was open, he stormed down to the Godless County school board and got me moved onto a different bus.

I don't think I'll ever forget that day as long as I live.

Draft saved Draft deleted