1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To iPod or not to iPod, that is the question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by grrlhack, Mar 6, 2007.

1. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

If the 8G Nano is $250 and the 30G ipod is $250, why settle for 8G when you can get 30? Is smaller better (overall package, not just gigs)? Basically, I'm asking if you were buying new, would you get 8G Nano or 30G ipod.

2. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

My first-generation is a ridiculously large MP3 player. I would honestly buy the Nano for a try.

3. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Well, I wouldn't buy an 8G Nano for $250 (I have a 6G mp3 player now) when I could get the 30G video for the same price.

Size be damned.

(That's what she said....$1 to the former Passy)

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Great question. Would also love to know the answer.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Here is a tip: check out your local library for CDs. Just check them out, rip them to your computer and return them. Depending on your taste in music, you might be able to find a ton of good stuff.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Your holiness --

I half-filled my ipod doing that.

The librarians in my hometown, despite appearances, rawk hard...

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You can still buy the CDs from Columbia House, import them into your iTunes, and you'll be all set.

Also, if you Google, you'll find the software out there that lets you download your iPod collection into your computer, if you were to switch computers for some reason.

I've had some minor problems with my 30GB, which I bought reconditioned last summer for $250, right before I went to Toronto. At first, it wouldn't work on my PC, which had XP Service Pack 2. I had to uninstall the service pack, install the iTunes software and then reinstall the service pack. Second, I had to wipe the iPod clean and reload the whole library a few weeks back since about 11 GB of junk -- it was nothing space, essentially -- somehow got on there. That took an hour or so, but now I have much more space.

I use it basically for just music, but it's great to have at the gym.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have a Napster to go account and an MP3 player.

I pay like 15 bucks a month, but I have all the songs I ever wanted. Although, when I stop paying 15 a month, my songs are gone.

9. rascalface

rascalface Member

If you want to move your music to a new computer, you can move all your songs onto your iPod as data files (there's an option to use your iPod as a HD) and import them into iTunes on your new machine. If you have any iTunes purchased music, it will prompt you for you password to activate said songs on your new machine. Or you could burn your songs onto a DVD as data and import them that way.

Anyhoo, I've been longing to a new iPod for awhile. I bought mine about a month before they added color screens and right before they added video capabilities. I love my iPod, I take it everywhere.

Instead of buying one of the new, larger ones, I think I'll just set aside some dough and buy an iPhone in the coming year. If you haven't checked out the iPhone yet ... wow, it looks like the coolest gadget ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted