1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To iPod or not to iPod, that is the question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by grrlhack, Mar 6, 2007.

1. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Be careful buying a huge iPod. I recently took the time to figure out I listen to music an average of five hours a day, but much of it is on iTunes where I can easily change songs depending on my mood. That's a lot harder to do on my first-generation 30 GB iPod, and I get frustrated when I put my iPod on shuffle and it picks 10 consecutive songs that I don't like (of the only 200 I don't like on an iPod of 7,000 songs).

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Have you considered deleting the songs you don't like? Just a thought.

I have a Mini that stays at home on my Bose dock and a Nano that I use when I run, in my car and everywhere else. I like being able to move songs in and out of my workout playlist so I don't hear the same songs every time.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I got the 30 gig in January and it's the best thing I've ever done music-wise. Instead of having to pack a disc-man and dozens of cds, just throw the iPod in the shirt pocket and I've got 4,100 songs at my disposal.

Just got back from a 7-day cruise and had my cabin filled with sound from my iPod and Bose Sound Dock. And the iPod is great for walking.

Only problem was it would occasionally lock up and I hadn't read the manual on how to unlock it before I left for the cruise. Had to let the battery frun down and then throwi it on the recharger to get it to recycle.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So the Nano might be best? If you were to pick one, which would it be? I ask as someone who's resisted the iPod craze in the past, but finally seems ready to make the leap.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i was a holdout for years. i finally got a 30GB one. it was free through my law school but now that i have one i don't know how i lived without one for so long. i use it mostly for podcasts.

so grrrl, buy the ipod.

6. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

OK, thanks for all the responses. I DO have enough space to get what I have on my Mp3 player now, but no more room to expand.
    John, I did consider deleting ones I wasn't real big on.
    Dignan, I already have too much music for the Nano. The Mp3 player I have is 6G and I have about 5.7G on it. So it's either go for the 30G iPod or stick with this one.
    This one locks up like the iPod too. I've used the "let the battery run down" trick. This Mp3 player is nice, but I feel like I don't get full use out of it and I wonder if I would out of the iPod, although I'd probably be more inclined to use it in the car. The mp3 player isn't compatible that way.

As for the workouts...ACE...I like actual music and my singing sux -- even in my head! And when I'm working out, I like to hear songs I like, but I fade in and out on the songs in terms of actually paying attention to them. Sometimes, I'll be six or seven songs in going, "huh? Did I miss that one."

7. I have a 30GB video that I L-O-V-E. The only regret I have is that I didn't get the bigger one (60GB at the time, 80GB now).
    You can put movies on there (I have 24 of them) and still have plenty of room for songs (I have like 3,000).
    It is an absolute lifesaver for airport layovers, and I have a RoadTrip so I can listen in the car. It's great when you're on a long trip to not have to fumble with CDs.
    Definitely get one. You'll be glad you did.
    And I think you should get the biggest. You could carry a whole slew of movies with you and have something to watch in the motel when there's nothing on TV or in the airport.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Speaking of Weeds, does anyone know when the second season comes out on dvd.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I believe Moddy bought them on my recommendation... So you each owe me your wives. Fair's fair.

10. danhawks

danhawks Member

not to mention you get the italk voice recorder and boom! you have a 30 gig recorder...you can interview someone for days! yeah baby!

11. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

the assbags at best buy currently have my ipod, which is why i will say if you're getting an ipod, don't get it at best buy.

i got their service plan. and i bring in my broken ipod, and my options are get mine back fixed in two weeks or get a refurbished one in three days. i go refurbished, adn when it arrives .... it doesn't work! so now i'm waiting for ipod replacement no. 2 and just hoping it comes in and works before the long road trip that is march madness.

so to answer your question, ipod yes. (and to not answer your question, best buy no!)

12. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I get overwhelmed with the 30 gig sometimes. I've got around 10,000 songs on my iTunes and so I have to pick 3,000 to exclude. I think one of the larger Nanos would be a good upgrade if I were buying a new one for myself. I'm not sure what sizes they make, but I think my buddy just copped an 8GB.

Draft saved Draft deleted