1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To Encourage Biking, Cities Lose the Helmets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Most of my on-road biking is in urban areas, and I'm almost always in the middle of the lane, or the right tire-track.

The lanes here are barely wide enough to fit a car. There's no way a bike and a car can both fit side by side in a lane without your sideview mirror hitting my elbow.

Plus there's the fact that every street I ride on has rows of parked cars on both sides. You'd be really stupid to ride very close to a row of parked cars. You can get doored. Cars can abruptly pull out of spaces. Pedestrians can dart out from between them.

Taking the lane gives you room to maneuver should something like that happen. Trying to be courteous to motorists in those situations is gonna end in an ugly manner for me.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

He was texting and biking? Lol, what did he expect to happen?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Most important question: Is the bike OK?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Do you live in Toronto? :)

We have a multi-purpose trail that runs along the lake from one end of the city to another--about 25 kms

On a weekend afternoon in the summer it's like rush hour.

You have pedestrians walking four abreast across both lanes, strollers with small children darting back and fourth, people with dogs who are not leashed, skateboarders and rollerbladers all over the places and cyclists with their headphones on.

I have a bell but I used to use a Fox 40 Whistle. That gets people's attention.

Draft saved Draft deleted