1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To Encourage Biking, Cities Lose the Helmets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 30, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's good to know. Obviously I gave him credit for doing the right thing -- he looked the part with all the fancy clothes so I figured he knew the law.

I have really calmed down on my driving as I have gotten older. The 25-year-old version of me probably would have hit him, or at least stopped him from crossing lanes, out of obliviousness or testosterone overload.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What if the cyclist arrived at the intersection first?

All due respect to you both, but the rider is entitled to the lane he's in. Again, he should have given a clearer indication that he was going to slide over to the bike lane having made the turn.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It was a red light. We were both first in our lanes and were going at the same time.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

If the cyclist arrives at the intersection first, he would be first in the right hand of the two left hand lanes. There are two lanes turning left - like any vehicle, he should be in the one that arrives where he wants to be - not expect all other traffic to notice that he's breaking traffic laws and wait for him.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If you need to get right immediately after a left turn and there are two left-turn lanes, you should be in right left-turn lane regardless of vehicle.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maybe he didn't know there was a bike lane in that cross street until after he made the turn.

Again, I'm not defending him or his choice.

But a cyclist has a right to the lane.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with his right to be anywhere. If he wants to be in the left hand of two left turn lanes, that's fine. But then he needs to stay in that lane. If you're driving a car and there are two left turn lanes, you don't get to make your turn into the curb lane. In order for cycling to be safe, everyone needs to follow the rules, including those on bikes.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As I've said several times.

The cyclist's 'violation' here was in changing lanes abruptly, without a sufficient warning to surrounding traffic.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Az, of course you're defending him and his choice, and you're not helping the bicyclists' cause.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Nothing else needs to be said.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Was this somehow unclear?

Or this?

Or this?

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I knew Madistan (wis.) had to be in the top 10.

Draft saved Draft deleted