1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To Encourage Biking, Cities Lose the Helmets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 30, 2012.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I knew you'd show up :)

You can hear "Hurtful Names" new single on Sirius/Xm's Spectrum

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Can you ride a bike with training wheels on the sidewalk, or is that illegal, too?

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Did he signal his lane change?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not that I saw. He might have. But that's another huge difference that cyclists often dismiss -- they aren't as visible as cars. A person with the best of intentions and driving habits still may not see them.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

He should have been in the right-hand turn lane unless he planned on turning left quickly once getting onto the next road.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

And a biker using hand signals doesn't keep them up until the turn or lane change is complete, because you generally need both hands to execute the turn.

I wish we taught children the proper biking rules to ingrain it in their heads and to avoid having kids riding like idiots.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

From the City of Toronto's website:

A City bylaw allows cyclists with a tire size of 61cm or 24 inches or less to ride on the sidewalk. The intent of this bylaw is to allow young children to cycle on the sidewalk while they learn to ride

Happy? :)

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I live in America!

Anyway, it sounds like I can stop worrying about the logistics of teaching my son to ride a bike amid city traffic. :)

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He should have signaled. Even a quick index finger pointing to where he's headed would have helped you.

It's up to him to ride as if he's invisible to cars - which he is. It's up to you to see him, because he has as much right to the road as you do.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And that's where idealism meets reality, Az -- I did see him, but a lot of people wouldn't have. Maybe not a majority of potential road-sharers, but a high enough percentage that he was taking a big risk, one that easily could have been avoided had he merely crossed at the nearest intersection to the left or right.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Believe me, no one regrets or resents knuckleheaded or thoughtless cyclists as much as other, better-versed cyclists. A cyclist in urban traffic has to obey the same rules as the motorist.

That said, drivers need to (learn to) see bicycles and motorcycles and pedestrians.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

We've asked the judges for their ruling and their verdict is that the cyclist is an idiot. Not a chance I would do that - he should have been in the right hand left turn lane behind you.

Draft saved Draft deleted