1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To Encourage Biking, Cities Lose the Helmets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 30, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

One with cars. Seriously, if it's a street in a neighborhood or a road less traveled, sure. But I keep seeing bicyclists merrily cruising along busy streets on stretches with no bike lanes. Why would you choose to put yourself at risk when there's a perfectly good and completely wide open alternative?

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I have to admit, as someone who (very) occasionally bikes for fun and exercise, I never bike for transportation in large part because I hate carrying around my helmet.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I went headfirst into a curb (after hitting my head first on the frame of the bike on the way down) when I was 15. No one who met me after would know it, but the right side of my skull is permanently "altered" as a result.

Despite that, I've never felt the need to wear a helmet. Bike falls are so rare. I liken worrying about it to worrying about getting hit by a car if you're walking. It can happen, but the more vigilant you are about your own safety and about your surroundings, the less likely it will happen.

I've lived in plenty of places that had no provision for cyclists. You were on your own.

But there are some clueless, and arrogant, bikers out there. I've ridden down plenty of main drags, but I'm extremely careful about it, and if possible, I don't ride on the road. I'd rather ride on the sidewalk than the road if given a choice.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

never seen that a single time when i've been in portland. not once.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I guess you don't go to the Hawthorne District.

Last time I was there, this summer, I waited behind a bike that was carrying a wagon stacked with hay.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

ha. i take it back. the belmont area - just up the street - also is rife with douches. i was thinking more townish.
    my bad.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Pacific Northwest if full of stoner yuppie douchebags who would vote for a brain dead banana slug if the Democrats nominated it and can't figure out how to operate a vehicle preferred by children under 10.

AND they suck at football.

:D

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

hey, look, fucker. lay off the PN-Dub. {insert middle finger} ; P

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

However, their complete lack of interest in participating in modern workday commerce is awesome to a visitor who wants to do happy hour starting at 5:00 or a tad earlier.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

5 p.m. or a.m.?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Where I live, it is technically illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk, but you risk being clothes-lined by me more than you are risking getting a ticket.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And hopefully texting bans, smoking bans, sugary food bans and just about every other idiotic and oppressive law passed by the pinhead faction of this country.....

Draft saved Draft deleted